About this cannon...

jerome83

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I write you from France, sorry for my bad english...

I just purchase this cannon.
Could you help me about his authenticity.
It measures 125cm and a weight of about 100kg.
The seller told me that it was a naval gun, but it did not come from the sea
Do you think this is a real cannon.
In addition, what time do you think it date.
I post you some pictures of it.
I can take others pictures if you want.

I'm in doubt, thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
Jérôme

dolfijnen9.JPG dolfijnen10.JPG dolfijnen13.JPG dolfijnen12.JPG dolfijnen14.JPG P1090129.JPG

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your English is just fine, as for the cannon, I don't know a darn thing about them, but I sure like your cannon and
think you made a good deal, of course I don't know what you paid for it, but it really looks cool.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice gun, from its looks it looks origional but fakers are so good nowdays it is hard to tell from just photos, as you will see on ( Fake Bronze  Cannons )

Do not recognise the crest but does possible have the English Rose in it but hard to be sure.

The varius pages on this forum post is worth looking through: ( Old Guns - South West Mafia )

as is this one : ( index )

and keep an eye on this site to see if anything similar comes up: ( Cannons for sale | GunStar )

VOC

Last edited:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking cannon Jerome, if it is authentic you have a real beauty there. As VOC has said the fakers are really good a forgeries so you have to be on your guard. If I were you I would get a small video scope and look inside the cannon through the touch hole and in the barrel. Look for any casting slag that may have not have been removed, also look for any other indications that this was never fired. There should be some residue left behind in the bore if it was not in the water. If you work at a museum and there is residue, you may be able to get it analysed at a local university to see if it is from black powder.
Good luck and I hope you are not disappointed.
ZDD

OP
OP
J

jerome83

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the bottom of the barrel with a camera.
Ago as a metal cylinder (I think lead) that was set at the bottom of the barrel.
As if it was to prevent him from firing. Is this standard practice or not on old cannons that are sold.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did the seller have to say about the cannon? Are there any other markings on it?

OP
OP
J

jerome83

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller have said it's a eastern cannon around 1700...

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
That's a very nice cannon. I love it. Sorry I can't help regarding it's authenticy. Maybe you can load and fire it once? To see if it's more or less accurate? If you can hit your target - then who cares if it's real or fake?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread