What's new

Acceptable dumping fee?

Jsayre1234

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
I am curious to know if paying a 7$ fee per bag for my dumps is acceptable? I know ultimately the choice is up to me but was just wanting other peoples opinions. I think I can fit about 1500$ or maybe slightly more into a bag!
 
Upvote 0
Personally......I wouldn't. I would look for other options.

Good luck.
 
That is roughly .5% if you fit $1400 into a bag. I would also look for other options myself but if thats the best you can do it ain't that much. The coin counter at my bank is "coin star" kind- 8.9% if you don't have an acct, that $20 I have in there has saved ME thousands and thousands. BTW you'll hurt them girls with $1500 bags= about 75 lbs. and they will hate you quick- forget the candy you'll really have to tip them. HH Mark
 
As far as fees for dumping and fees for buying boxes, this seems to be a disturbing trend as more and more people get into CRHing. I went to a couple of banks in a rural area this morning and both of them told me they have regulars who not only buy up their loose halves, but also order boxes from them. CRHing seems to be everywhere around here now.

Since many people are still finding silver here and there, I doubt the CRHing trend will diminish any time soon.

I think too it bugs the banks that we are making some money from this and they are not getting a cut of it. Maybe I am just a bit cynical, or maybe not.

Jim
 
Scalper said:
I wouldnt pay any fees, none no way , no how , just say no to fees ...

I agree. They already make a mint off all the money
Deposited in their Banks By their Customers.

IF everyone stopped in their bank & Requested all their Money
the Bank Won't have it & will declair Bankruptcy rather then come up with it.
 
The manager at my dump bank said there will be a 6% charge for dumping...as they were already counting my two boxes. :o
A few minutes later he said he spoke out of line. Since I have a good relationship with the bank, MY fees would be waived (i.e. they didn't want to lose my "significant relationship" (five different accounts) and bring it somewhere else). Continue to bring in your coins, he said. :tongue3:
 
I have never paid any fees for either dumping or picking up...well at least not directly. My fees are in the form of shortages/overages due to the fact that I mainly do bags now. Being that the differences are usually significantly less than it would cost me in gas money to drive around and pick up the same number of boxes I just accept it as part of my cost of enjoying my hobby.

The only condition I might consider a fee is if it cost more in gas money to get to the next closest bank. Though the more you dump, the further away that bank has to be to come out ahead. In my case, numerous banks/branches of banks to choose from so no issue.

Being that I have already dumped approaching 700,000 coins this year (approx. $30,000 worth of coins) paying even a 1% fee would have cost me $300, a 7% fee would have cost me $2100. Now thats all denominations (mainly pennies)


But if it was just in half dollars consider this if you are paying a 7% fee for dumping (or picking up for that matter):
Assume that you can sell a 90% half for $6 and a 40% half for $2.50 (just approximations, I didn't look up the actual numbers).
That's $5.50 profit on a 90% half and $2 on a 40% half.

To make up the $35 in fees you just paid on the $500 box of halves you would need to average more than 6.4 of the 90% halves, 17.5 of the 40%, or some combination of the two per box. Although some have different experiences, I have yet to come close to those number for averages in boxes (for all 2007). So if I had to pay that high of a fee, I'd be better off taking that $35 and buying coins at a coin show or other method at silver cost. Even in bags (where I had most of my successes) I only would get enough to break even on average after fees and still have to pay gas and spend time to acquire them since bags aren't as readily available.
 
there is no such thing as an acceptable dump fee. I was paying $1 per bag. And when they say per bag they are talking about one of their $1000 bags. So if you put $1500 in a bag they will charge you for two bags.

Good luck
Cat
 
You already pay a fee. The money in your bank account. Don't accept their garbage. If they want to charge you, take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of banks that don't charge a "service" fee that would love your business.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom