Ace 250 Notch Question

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've been searching for an answer; haven't exactly found it so am posting it here:

I understand and use the notch system available on my Ace 250, sometimes running in AM, Jewelry & sometimes Coin Mode, depending on my mood and of course, location. My question is: If I run, for example, in Coin Mode, does the notching out of the other segments reduce the depth potential as opposed to running in All Metal & just listening for Coin signals ?? I've suspected this as a possibility but don't really know.

I'll turn it over to the Garrett Gurus for an answer....Thanks :help:

Dick from IA said:
I've been searching for an answer; haven't exactly found it so am posting it here:

I understand and use the notch system available on my Ace 250, sometimes running in AM, Jewelry & sometimes Coin Mode, depending on my mood and of course, location. My question is: If I run, for example, in Coin Mode, does the notching out of the other segments reduce the depth potential as opposed to running in All Metal & just listening for Coin signals ?? I've suspected this as a possibility but don't really know.

I'll turn it over to the Garrett Gurus for an answer....Thanks :help:

I have never noticed any depth loss by using jewelry or coin mode vs all metal.
-Swartzie

The all metal mode in the Ace 250 is like turning the discrimination to zero.

The circuitry remains the same and the output at the coil remains unchanged. The 2500 is the only Garrett machine with a true all metal mode where the discrimination circuit is turned off. This does permit more power to the coil, and the 2500 may reach another inch or two of depth because of that. The rest of the Garrett line (great line by the way) leaves the discrimination circuit on but passes all detected objects with no change.

Even the 1500 does not have a true all metal non discriminate mode. It only has a zero discrimination mode, which doesn't discriminate, but leaves the circuit active. Therefore the available power to the coil remains unchanged.

Sorry, I should have restricted my comments to the GTA and GTI lines as well as the 150 and 250. There are other Garrett machines that I have not owned such as the Master Hunter CX line. I don't know all the Garrett line so will restrict myself to machines I have owned, from the GTA 350 through the GTI 2500 and the Ace 250 (best bang for the buck of any of my detectors). I don't even know about the ACE 350 recently announced so cannot apply that sweeping statement above to all Garrett machines.

One way to test it is to set up an experiment. Set the Ace on a plastic chair with the coil hanging over the edge and perpendicular to the shaft (you might have to have someone help hold the Ace and operate it). Tape a wood or plastic yard stick to the shaft to measure the distance from the coil to the target(It will look like there is a tongue depressor sticking out of the coil). Take some readings in All Metal Mode, etc (be sure to hold the coin(s) and other targets like they would lay in the ground). Write down the results. Notch out what you want to and repeat the previous tests. Compare with the previous readings. Let us know what you find out...

the machine and depth stays the same no matter what mode you set it on, all it does is stop the sound when notched out. The sensitivity does seem to affect depth, when set on 4 bars seems to detect shallower than when on 6 bars

Ive only got out to use my 250 ounce so far, But from what I can tell the Detector is still detecting these items (on the screen) your just not hearing them when you are notching them out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back