ace 250 settings help

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Start out with the sensitivity set on 4 bars.......or you will get frustrated. And make sure the coil cable is snug to the shaft. Secure it with velcro or tape.

Im still getting use to pinpointing.....but when the top ID indicators are lit up all the way across to the right, the object is supposed to be center of the coil. I just dig a plug the size of the center opening in the coil after pinpointing and it will be there.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Definately keep it at around 50% on the sensitivity. I have had the best success in the jewelery and coin modes, the all metal picks up, well, just about everything. Pinpointing is right on the money so far. Hold in the button and slowly move it across the signal. I find using the "X" pattern works well, it enables you to really focus in on the spot. When all the bars are lit up across the display and stay there while not moving the coil you should find your target right on the inside of the top of the inner coil. If you are in soft ground give it a little push to make a pattern and you'll have a good place to start. The learning curve on this machine is pretty friendly, the more you get out there with it the easier it will come.

Oh, your id feature should give you a very close indication of what is down there. In the above mentioned modes I have found that .25, .10, .05 and pulltabs are true to the display. Pennies are sometimes a bit vague, but the others give a nice solid beep-beep-beep. In all metal aluminum and iron will give a much lower tone with a hit to the far left of the display.

HH

J

Jim Cal

Ditto on the 50% sensitivity settting. I found the target id to be right on. Try to start out hunting less trashy areas like neighbors yards until you learn the machine. When I started I dug everything and compared what I found to what I thought it was going to be prior to digging. You get a lot of good experience that way and learn to have confidence in the detector. The preset programs are the way to go for a beginner. Don't forget to wear headphones because that really helps you hear the signals loud and clear. Good luck and good hunting. Jim Cal

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
thanks guys for the help. unfortunately we have some fresh snow on the ground and about 8 more inches coming tonight. so it will be awhile before i can put all your advice to use.
dylan

D

Darod

Dylan,

You can do some air tests with it in the house. Just lay out some change (quaters, dimes, nickels, pennies) about 18" apart and pass over then to see what the display tells you and the tone you get. Set out some gold items and some trash as well. This should give you some idea of what to expect in the field and it will also give you something to do while the snow melts :)

Rod

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
The sensitivity at around 50% is a good idea and making an X when pinpointing is also a winner. Something that I ran into that might help:

I kept detecting under the swings at a park and getting strong signals directly under the swing but it seemed way to large when I pinpointed. Several minutes later I realized I am detecting the the bottom of the swing itself ABOVE the coil, who knew! I had been in the same area with my old detector and never had the problem so it took a few minutes before I realized what was going on. The Ace is working well for me so far, whenever I operate it correctly!!!! Good luck out there.

Dudes

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
thanks rod and dudes the way it's snowing here some inside detecting is about all i can do hh

dylan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread