ACE 250 versus Whites Prixm IV... and why???

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
ACE 250 versus White's Prixm IV... and why???

Hello All..

I am picking out a machine for my 9 year old.. and was leaning towards a Prizm IV... I have had a 5900.. a 6000.. a Spectrum.. a XLT and a DFX... ;-) Love the Whites!! With a large head.. and a few mods.. the 6000 was picking up breast plates at almost 18"... I have been able to dig .69 3 ringers at 16" with the DFX a DD 8 x 14 head... but I have never used anything but White's... so.. does anybody want to weight in on the ACE 250s? What kind of depth do you get? How do they compare to a lower end White's? The one thing I like about the Prizm is I can use some of the other heads I have.. they are compatable with any non dfx head.... So.. opinions??

..and yes.... I swear I dug the Breast Plate at 18" ;-) No one ever believes me ;-) but I did!!! It was before I started keeping a camera in the Jeep or I would have pictures... I pulled the last chunk of dirt out of the ground.. and it was dead center of the hole.. perfectly flat... eagle up looking at me...

Thanks

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Re: ACE 250 versus White's Prixm IV... and why???

The heads you are talking about are they the search coils? If so the Prizms has thier own coils. They are the 8 inch and 950 Prizm coil.
The Prizms are good detectors and the P4 is about $400.00
The Ace 250 is $212.00
It has 3 coils available - runs on cheap AA batteries - TRUE selective notch
You get more features and save $200.00 by purchasing the 250.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Yes Head = Coils ;-)
The Prizm will use any of the older White's heads.. er.. coils.. according to the White' rep.. ??

Ok.. stupid question.. True Selective Notch.. is a programmed discrimination mode to exclude the tabs.. screw tops.. etc... Right? You are stressing TRUE.. so I assume how the circuits on the Ace is implemented is different then the Prizm? I am not committed to getting another White's.. I just want a decent machine for him to use..

I have to say.. I ALWAYS hunt in a custom relic mode with me DFX.. even yards.. I just change heads.. I mainly hunt old house sites and camp sites, if I do hunt a yard the house is usually 1800s itself... so.. I still hunt in relic mode.. I have dug way too many cuff and vest buttons that read as a pull tab over the years to ever exclude that..and I don't trust the Icon mode on any machine.. with IHs usually in the 50s on a whites.. people leave those behind too..

So, have you use both machines? and they operate about the same but he Ace is cheaper?

Thanks...

MonkeyBoy

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

I have used all the Prizms. I still say that the Prizm coils are to themselves.
True selective notch means you can lock in or out any or all notches on a 250. Lets say your looking for a lost ear ring. You sweep the coil over the mate. The 250 lights up one of the pull tab icons. You can then notch everything out except that one notch so you can search for the lost item. The Prizms have smart notch. The factory has set up what they think is good - not you.
Then there is the 4.5 inch sniper coil. It will easily go 6 inches deep. It's only $60.00
I was reluctant to buy a 250 because of it's low price thinking it was a toy. But it is not a toy! I'm very proud of it. It's a great general purpose detector.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TonyinCT said:
I have a slightly used Prizm IV on hand with most of the warranty left on it if you're interested.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com
860-623-1153

must be going to go buy an ACE 250.....lol

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Ok.. old topic bu I thought I would provide and update.. MonkeyBoy Jr now has used both the Prizm IV and the Ace250... I prefer the 250 due to price and the bigger oval coils. all that being said... he dug a great US cartridge Box plate with the Prizm at about 9" and a Eagle plate at about 5" with the 250 stock coil.. so performance"might" bea touch betteronthe Prizm but not enough to matter.. he was missing bullets that my DFX picked up loud and clear when using the 250. Sooo... long story short... my 9 year old gets the 25o and MonkeyBoy gets a shiny new DFX!! Two plates by the time he is 12!! WOW!! ;-) That's my boy!!!

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread