What's new

advice on coins

phrostie

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
534
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nap Town
I finally have enough extra coins that I was looking to put up on feebay and was wondering if anyone here would be able to answer several questions (i.e. pics, auction duration, etc) that any newbie would have. Let me know if you're willing to help. FYI...I'm looking to sell 2007-P BU dimes and some copper pennies, so if you're interested in them let me know.

Thanks,

Dan
 
Upvote 0
Pictures I wouldn't use the ebay service just use imageshack.us.

Auction duration I usually run about 7 days, however the ending time is actually important (so in turn the starting time is equally as important because it ends 7 days from the start...) I've learned that you definitely don't want a goofy ending time, and recommend Saturday or Sunday Evenings personally.

Also you might want to make sure the fee are actually worth selling on feebay, and the paypal fees vs going to a local coin dealer.... I find this tool to be of great use
http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

If you have any more specific questions shoot me a pm, I'm not a "power seller" by any means but have sold some stuff on there, and will help ya as best as I can.
 
Maybe you could share here? You say ending times are important, what times do you recommend and EST or PST?
 
The books I have read and through personal experience ending times do make a difference unless its a high demand item.

The books say end at 6:00pm (eBay California time) on a Sunday. I have fond this to be a good time to end but sometimes Fridays are just as good. I have listed several like items ending diffrent dates and times to see what happens. Sundays and Fridays between 6-8 California time seem to work the best for me.

Be sure to count your eBay and pay pal fees before you decide to sell. If you have bulk it's better in bulk so fees don't kill you. Shipping is another thing to think about. Some say offering free shipping gets higher bids but in my experience it all works out the same.

I always offer free shipping but that's just me. I usually only sell high profit items (09 pennies, silver halves) so I can gamble on getting higher bids to cover shipping. If not Oh well I paid face anyway.

Hope that helps! Any more questions let me know.

Michael
 
And you did GREAT on those 2009 pennies. Woohoo! Great job.

Pennies I've sold in $50 bags. SOmeone told me they can fit $75 in the same box that i use for $50. It is the same shipping price, so that increases his net profit. So either way should work. But sell the copper pennies at $50 or $75 in bulk.

As for teh dimes, just make sure you sell enough in one lot to make it worth your while.
 
jrf30 said:
And you did GREAT on those 2009 pennies. Woohoo! Great job.

Pennies I've sold in $50 bags. SOmeone told me they can fit $75 in the same box that i use for $50. It is the same shipping price, so that increases his net profit. So either way should work. But sell the copper pennies at $50 or $75 in bulk.

As for teh dimes, just make sure you sell enough in one lot to make it worth your while.

Is it worth it after fee's to sell copper pennies? Mine is startin g to pile up...
 
I sell stuff all the time on ebay you just to watch out on what you sell. If it doesn't sell you still be left with a listing fee. My advice if you are selling 2007 dimes and copper pennies is don't do it there isn't too much of a market for it. That is a 50/50 gamble and you would leave yourself stuck with a listing fee if it doesn't sell or doesn't bring a desirable amount. Another senerio is you would spend around an hour taking picture, writing a profile, uploading pictures and wait around to it ends only to come up breakin even. Do a search and see what other listing are bringing on the dimes I don't know how much you have but I never came across seeing all most new dimes being sold on ebay. As for copper pennies never came across a bulk lot of copper pennies and I practically live on ebay selling coins and buying coins. But good luck if you do decide to give it a go.
 
I've sold tons of stuff on eBay and find that my best ending time is actually in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. Imagine at 1 PM Pacific, 4 PM Eastern, people are still sitting in front of their desk at work. They have been looking at your item hopefully the better part of a week. They still have the opportunity to bid while they are working before they go home. As for photography I have found that if you use an empty plastic milk gallon and cut off the bottom you can create a nice photo booth. Shoot your camera through top of the jug and you get a great effect with the lighting. Not too much glare from flash (in fact turn off your flash and use lamps or other external lighting) and a nice even lighting.

redwolf
 
I've gots over tons circulated Ikes and more 1995P BU Halves than anyone needs. I was thinking about selling those on ebay rather than dumping them. Thoughts?
 
Seagates said:
Pictures I wouldn't use the ebay service just use imageshack.us.

Auction duration I usually run about 7 days, however the ending time is actually important (so in turn the starting time is equally as important because it ends 7 days from the start...) I've learned that you definitely don't want a goofy ending time, and recommend Saturday or Sunday Evenings personally.

Also you might want to make sure the fee are actually worth selling on feebay, and the paypal fees vs going to a local coin dealer.... I find this tool to be of great use
http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

If you have any more specific questions shoot me a pm, I'm not a "power seller" by any means but have sold some stuff on there, and will help ya as best as I can.
hey thank you for that table i have started to sell some junk and new pennies on fee-bay so this will help
thanks
PIP
 
jrf30 said:
And you did GREAT on those 2009 pennies. Woohoo! Great job.

Pennies I've sold in $50 bags. SOmeone told me they can fit $75 in the same box that i use for $50. It is the same shipping price, so that increases his net profit. So either way should work. But sell the copper pennies at $50 or $75 in bulk.

As for teh dimes, just make sure you sell enough in one lot to make it worth your while.

Just a note, I sell copper pennies everday (sorry I cant reveal my source, they want to remain silent) you can send $90 face value of pennies in a flat rate box. It will weigh 62 lbs and the limit for USPS is 70lbs. USE A LOT OF TAPE, all the way around the box in every direction... The cost for a flat rate box if printed offline in $9.85 and it comes with free delivery conformation.

Jason
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom