Advice on fossilized coral: Clean up and presentation

GodOfRustyNails

Jul 8, 2007
South Bend, In
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
For the last 4 months I have been slowly removing debris (pretty soft stuff) from a rock I found in sunny South Bend, In. I have "whittled" it down and am satisfied with what I have unearthed. My question is this... How or what do I do to make the coral visually stick out from the rest of the rock? The coral is visible, but not as much as I would like. The coral in some spots are dull in tone. Actually, I think the picts are better than it actually looks (maybe due to flash). Can anyone help ID these...are they the same type of coral? Any advice? Please note: all pictures are from the same rock.

This is what I would like to make more prominent on the rock:
IMG_1106.jpg

Another angle with a little Lego Yoda arm to boot:
IMG_1094.jpg

Is ther some way to "treat" this chemically to help keep it together or prettier?
IMG_1103.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It appears you have a chunk of encrinal limestone. The disks you see are called "collumnals." Collumnals stacked together in life comprised the stems and occasionally the "arms" (cirri) of crinoids ("sea lilies").

Picking the soft matrix out of the crevices is painstaking work. When available, the best tool for such a job is a "micro-blaster," a sort of small-scale sand blaster that uses blasting media such as tiny glass beads or ground walnut shell.

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
My dad has a great creek on his property in Caldwell Co, KY and we find these things by the bucket full! They are cool. Are rock garden is full of them!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread