Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got it waterfalling off the end of the sluice that's good, no back pressure on your riffles. Get any colors?

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got one piece that collected right in front. Dropped straight to the bottom in the front before the riffles and never moved. But I think I was digging in a spot that had already been mined, so that's all I got. (Edited to add: looks big, but it's a very small piece -- I just zoomed in.)

gold piece.jpg

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an angus and love it. Mine is called the Alaskan I think. Expedition with a flare attached. I have kicked around the idea of adding a layer of silicon sheeting to the bottoms of the drops. Keep that gold stuck once it works down there.... happy hunting

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have an angus and love it. Mine is called the Alaskan I think. Expedition with a flare attached. I have kicked around the idea of adding a layer of silicon sheeting to the bottoms of the drops. Keep that gold stuck once it works down there.... happy hunting

Thanks. Does it look like it's set up properly to you? I didn't know if it was running well or too hot. I haven't caught anything in the riffles yet, just in the front area.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you caught black sand then, in my opinion, the flow was not too hot. I think with fast water and where some go wrong is to not just flatten the sluice...if the drop riffles are full you are good to go.

Good luck.

Lareski

Mar 22, 2021
CA
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300, TDI, Goldmaster,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my sluice setup. Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Looks good to me. If the gravel looks like it's wiggling around it each riffle, that's good exchange action. If you leave it running for about 5 minutes and some of the gravel is gone (exchanged out) but the black sand remains, that's a good sign. One other way is to put a little flake in there and see if it's around after using for a half hour or so.

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can tell a lot by the way the water exits your sluice and how the material sits in your drop riffles. To me it appears that the right side of the sluice (when looking at it from front to back) is deeper in the water, thus the water tail exiting your sluice shows more water on that side. If it’s catching gold then it’s all good!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me.If any doubt put something at the end of the sluice to catch the material and then pan it to see if any gold made it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread