Advise needed

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always looked for arrowheads and have wanted to metal detect for some time. I found old coins and stuff in plowed field before. I found this old coin (1897 dime) and keep sake thing? a few weeks ago along with several odds and ends of mule harnesses and such in a field I hunt arrowheads. I borrowed my brother's Bounty hunter detector and started looking the old home site in the field. Every swipe there was an old square nail. My question is would a better detector help or do you have to dig up all the nails anyway so you don't miss something. And if so what is a decent
detector and any other advise welcome. Thanks Sam
100_1055.JPG

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always looked for arrowheads and have wanted to metal detect for some time. I found old coins and stuff in plowed field before. I found this old coin (1897 dime) and keep sake thing? a few weeks ago along with several odds and ends of mule harnesses and such in a field I hunt arrowheads. I borrowed my brother's Bounty hunter detector and started looking the old home site in the field. Every swipe there was an old square nail. My question is would a better detector help or do you have to dig up all the nails anyway so you don't miss something. And if so what is a decent
detector and any other advise welcome. Thanks Sam

Hi Sam! If you are a relic hunter, and want to find more than just coins, you will likely need to dig up the junk as well as the treasure. I always say its better to dig 10 holes of trash than miss 1 hole of treasure. I do not have first hand experience, but the general consensus I've seen is that many Bounty Hunter machines are the low end detectors. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had success. If you are in the market for your own detector and want some guidance, tell us your budget, areas you will be hunting, etc. Many people will advise you to get a decent pointer to help recover targets quickly. I would have to agree, but keep in mind, a nice one will add $130 to the cost. So if your budget is smaller, I'd focus on getting a quality machine and then have the pointer come later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread