Afghanistan

liam

Sep 29, 2004
Afghanistan has vast mineral recourses that remain virtually untouched including placer and obviously lode gold... Gary Bowersox has written several books on his thirty years of dealing with gemstones in this area but never really was interested in precious metals as he perfers gems... lying at the foothills to the himilaya's the region is very unexplored but some locals placer mine gold in the rivers, the mother lode has to be there for the one willing to risk it... you literaly will be prospecting in the 1800's if you go... the local afghans are very independent and willing to partner and the gov't has little say on what you do once you leave Kabul, most of the country relies on tribal rule...

Any folks interested in going, who are used to rough field living and capable of sniffing out workable veins from traces? Willing to risk life, limb and thier own capitol? Just making local contacts and targeting commercial deposits could be worth big money in the next few years, big mining isn't eager to risk the unstable gov't and local warlords... Emeralds, Rubies, semiprecious, gold, silver, lead, copper, uranium, iron... name it its probably there... I have basic coordinates left over from Russian occupation, need expert prospector(s) and possible freelance engineer and of course money... stake a claim, lose it all, great drinking stories, you could be main character in future book on lost gold mines of Afghanistan...

OP
OP
L

liam

Sep 29, 2004
Dude that's why no one is there yet, folks are still terrified... gemologist just got back 1st of september and I talked to him last friday, he went all through the occupation by Russia and during the pre 9/11 taliban rule... the local's are very unknowledgable about mining technology/techniques, they keep ruining valuable gems by using scavanged military explosives which are too bruisant/fast for safe mining... he's only interested in gemstone mining, not metals... plus when you work with the locals to improve thier situation theyre not going to kill you... folks can own 20% of an emerald mine there for the cost of a pnuematic drill for them to use... just think what a smart prospector can do with alot of honest hard work, the Afghans financed the Russian war with emeralds from the Panshir valley, and they barely scratched thier placer for gold... a good spot or two and a dredge could keep you in cash for real prospecting... it would be very tough nigh impossible to go it alone, got to have a crew, there is plenty of local labor,they work on a percentage, help provide security...

T

Tribal1

Afghan dredging/placers

Just logged in to these boards, and have much experience in Afghanistan (I work for a private military corp).

Been in and out of there since 1988, and am doing a gold recce with 6 inch dredge and some high-speed river-pounding equipment up the Panjshir Valley and then swinging east. My locals friends have put me into some productive 'silk screen' areas where the natives recover fines with silk matts.

I may be looking for crazies with dredge/general mining experience, and eventually underground workers. The recce is to assess and target a specific area (we have the permits) and then GO TO WORK.

I'll keep you informed...the security situation isn't that bad.

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Ahhhhhh......If I were just 35 again!!! I'd go in a heartbeat. But alas, been there, done that in other foreign hostile nations, survived, thrived, etc. but my time for that kind of adventure is past. Gotta stick with the easy stuff now! ;D Comanchero

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions