Attachments

• P7080001.JPG
    P7080001.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
KEEP SCRATCHING AND CALL ME BACK IN A HUNDRED HOURS . IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR INSTANT GRATIFICATION THIS IS NOT THE HOBIE FOR YOU . ONE VERY LUCKY FELLA JUST FOUND A GOLD COIN AND IT ONLY TOOK HIM 20 YEARS .

OP
OP
Jessejam

Jessejam

Jul 10, 2005
Malden, Ma.
To prairiewolf, I never said I was looking for instant gratification, and I understand some of the people here have been doing this alot longer than me, but it would be nice to find something good instead of clad coins and junk.

D

Deadshot

Just got to remember that that clad adds up. The good stuff just makes it that much better.

Keep it up
Deadshot

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Be patient, It will come when you stop thinking about it. It always work that way.

HH Jer

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Don't get discouraged. It takes a little time to get going with this. A few questions.

First, have you ever detected before or is this your first time at it?
I used to have a detector when I was in High School. I went out about 3 times and all I found was a doorknob. It was a really special door knob, but my only find ever. (Found it the other night while cleaning. Will post picture tomorrow), I ended up getting bored and discouraged and the detector sat in the garage for about 20 years till I tried, for kicks to see if it worked and it didin't. I just put it back on the shelf and it got tossed in a dumpster during a garage cleaning. After reading a little and finding that I was just going aimlessly in the previous attempts, I learned some good strategies about where to search and reasoning behind certain places and bought a White's XLT. I have actively been searching for only a few months now, but have just reached over $19 in misc. change. Now, I am getting a little more into all of it.

How well do you know your detector and how complicated is it?
My XLT was simple to learn, using the preset programs. However, it took a little practice to pick up some digging techniques, understand the different programs in the detector, (ie., Relic, Coin and Jewelry, Jewelry Beach...), understand those differences and spot some good places to search. I got my detector back in September of 1999 to use on a planned, month long trip to FLA. I only used it twice during that trip, due to other committments and such with helping my aging parents. I left the detector down there thinking I was going to get back right away and wouldn't need it here in Chicago during the winter. I didn't get back, It was 2 years when I got to use it again. I only found .48 during those two trips then decided to send it home. Last spring, I got it back out and put it together. Now, with a little bit of a plan and a little more understanding, I go out and find an average of about $2 every time I go out. The most, change, I have found in one outing was $3.32. That is with about an hour or two of searching every time I go out. Now that the days are getting shorter, when I get out, it gets dark so quick. Looking at my spreadsheet, that I just put together, my first couple of searches, in FLA contained more junk and only .48 . Then, my first hunt here in Chicago yielded me .97 and, again, more junk.

050516-UpperGilson-640.jpg

How long do you get a chance to do a search?
As I stated, I only get about an hour or two when I go out. With all the digging and the trash I find, there isn't a lot you can do in such a short time before it gets dark. However, once I got used to some of the numbers and graph readings for some of the better targets, I have been able to skip some things and concentrate on finding better stuff. Also, by reading and through some experience finding some stuff, I have learned to spot some good places to look for higher rates of finds, or develop a few strategies to maximize some return. One example is when I am on the beach and I find a Quarter in the sand. I will then stand next to where I found it and radiate out in circles for about 6' or more. When people loose coins from their pockets, often it is because they reached in and pulled something out. Say keys. When they drop things, they often drop multiple items. Often, I find several coins in the same hole, or within about a foot of each other. I keep searching in that circle till I get nothing. Another example, the Tot Lot that I searched tonight. Didn't find much, Almost nothing in the open spaces and around the slides and such. However, under jungle jims or horizontal ladders, Around swings.... are good places. These are places where people get somewhat inverted. Either in the front end of a high swing or hanging like a bat from the ladder or jungle jim. That is where objects fall from pockets. Trails leading to and from parking is also good as people drop coins and stuff from their pockets when they pull their keys out.... Concentrating on higher probability targets helps some. You will pick up on many of them by reading here and doing a few searches above. Search about hunting beaches, tot lots and parks and you will find good advice.

Eventually, you will find some good stuff. So far, I have only found 2 rings. One a nice 14k White Gold with about 9 diamonds. The other a hand made ring cast out of bronze. Most of what I find though is coin and occasionally stuff like toys, zipper pulls, paper clips, I found to eraser ends from broken pencils at the school lot that I was at tonight.

Get out as much as you can, but don't necessarilly get obsessive about it, I guess. I have better luck when I go out in the morning. I go out when it is light enough and can stay at it as long as I have time and the energy or attention span. In the evening though. I often feel like I want to keep going but I can't see what I am sifting from the wood chips or sand.

Also, pick places that are easy to search at first. So you can get good time in and experience understanding your detector. Sand areas like beaches, volleyball pits, Tot Lots.... are good places. Look for sand boxes at local schools. Kids always burry toys in the sand boxes. Also remember. While it is great to find a $250 gold ring or better, sometimes it is fun finding things that aren't so valuable. One example is all the beer caps that I find. Some are new and in great condition. Others are a little old and rusted. Displayed all together, they might be an interesting collection. I have been hanging on to all the varieties from the standard Miller and Bud to the Heineken and Becks to the Coronas or foriegn Polish beer caps I have been finding on our beach.

050525-Elder-MysteryItem2-640.jpg

Boat Drain Plug

050523-LowerGilson2-640.jpg

Concrete Core w/Rebar

050711-DiecastCars-640.jpg

Diecast Cars

050711-FoilPennies-640.jpg

Pennies Wrapped in Foil, Why???

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Can't speak for everyone here, but as for myself, I wish I would do as well every time I took the MD out for a ride !!

The "good stuff" will come ..... trust me. ? ;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thats not a bad amount of clad for (2) days... The parks around here have been pounded so hard, I don't find much clad...
One tip I could give you is to try and find a site with some history to it,,, some place old, and very populated back in the old days...
If it wasn't for the deep old coins I wouldn't find a whole lot, and they are disappearing quick...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Jessejam

Jessejam

Jul 10, 2005
Malden, Ma.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I've only really been at this for a few months, the detector I have is a First Texas DX 2500,I kind of inherited it from my Step dad who passed away about 8 years ago. It sat in my basement till just recently. I have found a few other things besides clad,and I have already posted them here.? Here they are again. Anyway, I live in a city just outside of Boston,although it has a lot of history, besides playgrounds and baseball fields there isn't very many places to dig. People around here are a bit uptight. So again, thanks people.? Jim

Attachments

• P7080002.JPG
    P7080002.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 198
OP
OP
Jessejam

Jessejam

Jul 10, 2005
Malden, Ma.
Oh yeah, I posted this as well, 1943 S war nickle,EF condition. Jim

Attachments

• P7080001.JPG
    P7080001.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 188

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me 13-16 weeks to find my first silver coin and about 20lbs of trash!

Keep @ it and HH!!

R

rusty nails

u r doing fine - when you learn your detector - things will really start jumping - all i found my first couple days out were rusty nails - that was in my yard - its like the real estate saying LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ....................... check those pennies out w/a mag. glass ~ ! u just never know ;D Leftbassplayer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread