What's new

After months of trash, finally found a silver coin! (Pictures added)

Monty

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
10,752
Reaction score
170
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! Thought I had lost my touch all together. I have been digging lots of trash and trinkets for the past 3 months no matter where I search. I had some really promising sites lined up for this summer but so far they have all not panned out. This morning I noticed there was quite a bit of work (landscaping) going on at my old grade school where I attended first through sixth grade.....a few years ago ;D. There was a few spots where they had graded down almost to the original topography of the playground after years of backfill, asphalting and the placing of nearly a foot of chips. It didn't take long but I hit these spots and along with several dollars in old stained clad I found a 1962 silver Roosie. My second dug silver coin, not counting those dug in club seeded hunts. This little bugger was hiding down about seven inches deep beneath all that clad. Also found a scorpio astrological charm about the size of a quarter with a crab on one side and a list of all the signs and dates on the other. It appears gold plated bacause some if it is flaking off. A genuine made in india gold plated small ring and a toy Humvee was the last of my haul. . I know , I know it doesn't sound like much but considering the location it is treasure to me. At one point I found myself looking at the playground through the eyes of that sixth grader so many years ago. Waiting for that dreaded bell to ring and signal the end of recess and having to scurry to keep from being late to class. It was the same feeling that I felt back then but somehow everything was different, always changing but so much the same. Hard to describe. Hard to stop looking through the eyes of that small boy of yesteryear and tear myself away once again to the present and the business at hand. I guess that's what metal detecting means to me and why I enjoy it so much? Monty

Added pictures, silver 1962 Roosie is top center.
 

Attachments

  • Resize of DSC00584.webp
    Resize of DSC00584.webp
    14 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0
Very nice Monty, Congrats on ending the silver slump, WTG!!!
Sounds like you had a great time. I just hunted one of my old schools last week and it does take you back aways, don't it?
Good luck, & Happy hunting~
 
Hi Monty, I'm glas to hear that you dumped the slump. Nice looking haul, memories are precious and even more so when we can't seem to find where we hid them. HH
Mchamby
 
Monty,

High fives on the silver and yes some days (or weeks!) it does seem like the trash never ends! enjoyed reading you're post - as it took me back a few years ago myself.


HH Farmer Dan
 
congrats Monty -- looks like your persistance has paid off -- looks like maybe silver in your area is pretty deep too!! ;)
 
Congrats, Monty on the silver and the memories! The memories makes me think of my two Granddaughters (age 6 and 7). I enjoy sitting to the side sometimes and watching and listening to them play dolls with their dollhouse. They have some great imaginative conversations between those dolls! Then I think to myself, "Someday they will grow out of that innocent stage and put those dolls and dollhouse away." It's sad in a way. But time marches on for all of us. Enjoyed your post.

Huntin' 59er
 
That astrology sign you found is a cancer not a scorpio. The crab is
the sign that represents cancer. This is just information for you I'm
not trying to educate you on the signs or anything. Very nice finds!
 
Re: After months of trash, finally found a silver coin!

rvbvetter said:
That occassional feeling of transcending time is, I think, what makes many of our clocks tick in this hobby. Very nice finds!! WTG!! HH

that sounds nice!!!!!!
 
Well, I don't know what the deal is but the token says Scorpio on it but the symbol looks like a crab.... maybe it's a scorpion with some of the plating worn off? Whatever, I'm not into astrology anyway so you probably now much better than I. Thanks. Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom