What's new

Sifting under old general store-lots of coins

BCSMark

Full Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2025
Messages
121
Reaction score
473
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazos county, Texas
Got permission a while back to this old general store. The building from my research I believe to be late 1800s, but based off what I found likely wasn’t a store until the 1930s. First time I went was just with the detector under the front porch of the store. I dug a silver quarter and mercury dime, a few wheat cents and some modern change. Went back last week with my electric sifter and dug out under, simply because there was so much trash! Bottle caps, nails, and pull tabs mostly. We filled an entire wheelbarrow full of trash!
Found quite a bit this second time, but not as much silver as I was hoping. Top part is all wheat pennies, a 1908 v nickel, couple buffalo nickels, a mercury dime, and a few older nickels (40s-50s). The store was in use until 1981, and so there was also quite a bit of clad. Only dug about 2/3 of it out but I don’t know that I’ll be going back. Was really hoping there would be more silver, and that there would be older coins. Still a fun time though!
What is remarkable is all the coins found the second time were not able to be found with the detector because they were masked by trash!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3733.webp
    IMG_3733.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3734.webp
    IMG_3734.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3701.webp
    IMG_3701.webp
    3.7 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3440.webp
    IMG_3440.webp
    3.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3446.webp
    IMG_3446.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 16
Here is a link to a post I made about my sifter.

 
This might be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen!
I absolutely love this for you. Now I need me a sifter.
Can’t wait to tell my wife, she’ll be both supportive and annoyed.
 
All your hard work really paid off - well done ! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom