Age for first detector???

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering at what age is everyone starting their kids detecting? I was just married last December and my step daughter loves going detecting with me. She is only 3 1/2 so it takes some time away from my actual detecting but I would not trade it for the world. We have a great time together...I detect and dig while she pinpoints with a whites bullseye. She is very bright and catches on to everything very quickly...some times too quickly. So I was thinking about buying something for her to use on the beach. I don't think she has the strength to dig in the ground yet.

What experiences has everyone had with their kids and MDing? What is a good age to start? Thanks in advance for the input.

NJ

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started my son when he was 9..the first time he went with me I was using it and it beeped..I dug up a coin and he says, "Let me see that thing.." :D

I thought that was a good age to start..he was smart enough to take in everything I taught him about how to use it and ccordinated enough to dig out coins without getting hurt. He's just now being able to accept digging up garbage, but early on he was discouraged every time he dug up something trashy.

I bought a new unit last September and gave him my old one. I really enjoy it now that he can come with me on digs..it's fun to have him with me so we could share our finds.

Nat

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
This all comes down to attention span.....my son is 8 and found a really neat Superman pendant his first time out (silver). It got me $200 in free accessories for a story posted on the White's web site! But he wants to swing it for about 10-20 minutes with my help then loses interest. Funny because him and my 11 year old daughter always find a lot of stuff in a few minutes with my DFX so I think if they ever have a bad 15 minute period they might not want to do it again! So I usually call them over when I find a sweet spot. As far as your daughter goes...lets be honest...way to young! But as long as she enjoys going why not? My kids will find something or someone to play with, bring a few toys, good luck.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback. I was think it was too young but she keeps asking for a detector. I'm going to buy a cheap one ($14.99) from Target that she can use on the beach. I'll just plant some items to keep her happy. Thanks again.

WinnGoldDigger

Feb 24, 2007
Central Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I started at 35 years of age, which I believe was plenty old enough, but my son is 8 yrs. old and is doing very well. He can detect, pinpoint, and dig up the treasure. His only problem is having a dad that takes him to spots where the treasures are rusty nails, pull tabs, and pennies. ;)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NJ I commend you for spending time with your new daughter and helping her develop an interest in MDing. At that age it's easy to become discouraged but keep doing what you've been doing..she'll more than likely acquire a life-long hobby in future years.

Nat

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one turning 4 this month and one of his presents is a kids metal detector, cause he loves it, and I need him to leave mine alone. Haven't figured out if he likes the detecting more or the digging holes.

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the Discovery Store has the remote control car that has a metal detector built into it, so as the kid is driving the car around, if it goes over some metal, it beeps....

Here is one on ebay... LINK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread