What's new

Age of axe head

Kevo_DFX

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
135
Golden Thread
0
Location
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Found on a site that has produced coins from the late 16th century to 1923. Most of the activity, however, seems to be early 1800's. Measurements are 5 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 1 inches.

axe.jpg


Thanks!

Kevo
 
I think it's an axe due to the hole for the handle. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I believe what you have may be what the muzzle loader community call a "Fort Miegs" (sp?) belt axe. The reason being one was found at an excavation in Ft. Meigs. I believe I read that there is also one in the Mt Vernon collection. I have a reproduction myself, It is the same basic dimensions and has the flat eye in the center of the head.
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I think it's an axe due to the hole for the handle. Monty

Maybe I should have called it a splitting axe or maul.

wedge.webp

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom