invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, found this hair clip(?) near a home built in 1854 and lived in ever since. Despite being overly bent on one end, tt measures about 2 1/4" long and 3/8" wide. On the front is an ornate foilage pattern. There is clear glass inlaid at the center, with silver or silver paint applied beneath it to make the pattern stand out. At one time the front and reverse was plated with a golden metal - some of which survives to this day. On the reverse side is a pair of attachment points, probably for where the clip once attached. No markings found. Can anyone confirm the ID and estimate the age/era?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to a jeweler, the etched vines, leaves, and flowers in the design suggest this pin is of the Art Nouveau style. However, this bar pin was manufactured later (c. 1940s-50s) because it was cast in Plaster of Paris not sand. Despite the wear and tear of being in the ground for decades, closer examination reveals quality workmanship. In the center, mother-of-pearl overlays silver plating. Elsewhere the base metal was plated with copper then gold.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread