invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, found this bangle/bracelet at a farm house that dates to about the early 1800s and has been lived in ever since. There are no maker's marks but there appears to be a repeating pattern of daffodils along the rim (see close-up). Left some dirt in the low spots to make it easier to see the pattern. Did some research before posting and think it could be Victorian. What do you think?

Attachments

• Bangle2.jpg
    Bangle2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Bangle1.jpg
    Bangle1.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know about the ID but it,s sure nice!

Thanks, it will be one of the artifacts that I'll offer to donate to the local historical society in an educational display case at the end of the detecting season.

Upvote 0

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
The title you chose for this post is very poetic I must say.
"Age of mangled bangles", could be a nice book...

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say for sure... Art nouveau floral motif, thin, brass... That's about all you know.

I saw a few Victorian/Edwardian era bangle that fit the description, but I'm pretty sure you can still buy them like that.

If I HAD to put a date on it I'd guess mid 20th C. But that's just a guess. Clearly it has been in the ground for a while.

BTW I really respect that you are donating finds to your local historical society. Too much history we dig gets squirreled away in a box or cabinet rarely to be seen again.

I do a Civil War presentation at the elementary school and take a box of relics for the kids to handle. They are always thrilled to actually touch the "history".

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Catchy thread title. Great name for an alternative or Indy rock band!

I agree with Matt. The design of the bracelet doesn't really help to pinpoint an age. I's a cool find, though. Thank you for posting it for us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title you chose for this post is very poetic I must say.
"Age of mangled bangles", could be a nice book...

Yes, I told the museum Curator that the less cool an artifact is the more catchy its title must be:hello:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catchy thread title. Great name for an alternative or Indy rock band!

I agree with Matt. The design of the bracelet doesn't really help to pinpoint an age. I's a cool find, though. Thank you for posting it for us.

Thanks for the title kudos and input on age. If all else fails, I'll take to a local jeweler - who in the past has helped me with IDs/age free-of-charge - b/c she knows I'm donating it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say for sure... Art nouveau floral motif, thin, brass... That's about all you know.

I saw a few Victorian/Edwardian era bangle that fit the description, but I'm pretty sure you can still buy them like that.

If I HAD to put a date on it I'd guess mid 20th C. But that's just a guess. Clearly it has been in the ground for a while.

BTW I really respect that you are donating finds to your local historical society. Too much history we dig gets squirreled away in a box or cabinet rarely to be seen again.

I do a Civil War presentation at the elementary school and take a box of relics for the kids to handle. They are always thrilled to actually touch the "history".

DCMatt, thanks for your take on the age. I've downsized once and the last thing I need to do it have boxes of artifacts laying around. Good on you for giving C.W. presentations to elementary school students. You are right, having actual artifacts for the students to hold, makes a BIG difference. The museum staff takes my stuff to both elementary schools and senior centers. Though, they're hinting for me to give a presentation to about 100 adults once the pandemic is in the rear-view mirror. I've already come up w/ my top 10 list.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread