Ahhh, its good to be back in Portland.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
You see, I spent the last four years living on an island in Puget Sound accessible only by boat. Not much THing to be done up there.

I did find a few old coins, even an indian head and a canadian large cent, and several newer wheats and silvers. But most of these old coins I had to find at the beach, and the salt water doesn't do them any favors.

Today I got about a 20 to 30 minute break when I was in downtown Portland, so of course I pulled out my detector and headed for the nearest grass--some trashy, weedy sidewalk strips. They had been hit before, I could tell, and there were very few coin signals. But for my hard work I did manage a couple of memorial cents and one sparkly silver dime. OK, its only a rosie, but for comparison I've shown a merc I pulled off a beach on the island. NOT pretty!

Ahhh, seeing that glint again--its good to be back in Portland.

Attachments

• silva.jpg
    silva.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 284
  • soundmerc.jpg
    soundmerc.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks, AP!

Look forward to seeing all the bling & silver that Portland has to offer!

Yeah, me too! ROFL!

X

xto

Hey,

It seems like there is a fair number of Portlandish (Oregon) people here. I am 10 minutes south and am looking for older places to hunt. Where do you guys find your spots?

Xto

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Where do you guys find your spots?

I just drive around and follow my nose! Its getting hard to tell where I've been and where I haven't, but I'm sure there is plenty more out there.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver and getting back to civilization, LOL! HH, Mike

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks Art and Mike!

I do miss the serenity and beauty of the island, but now I'm swooning with the conveniences of city life.

On the island, I had to look for different kinds of treasure. ;)

Attachments

• heronrock.jpg
    heronrock.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 255

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thats a couple nice silver......the merc seems to have been through some hard times...I know i make the speech often but the image on a merc is actually winged liberty.....

-GC

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks GC.

Yeah hard times is right! That dime is about 1/3 the proper thickness, and it has even lost some diameter, too. If you look closely though, you can see the, uh, winged liberty. (I'm still gonna keep calling them mercs, iffin ya don't mind)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread