Albany side scraper and a motley

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Came across an Albany side scraper or spokeshave. Typical of the type with the cortex still evident on both sides....beveled in a half moon shape. A little longer than most you find here. These things are from the late paleo/early archaic period...you find them with San Patrice, pelicans and greenbriars. The other point is what I believe to be a Motley. Not a perfect specimen, but ok. We need a good washing rain here to uncover hidden treasure.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• albany.jpg
    albany.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Looks like you're doing pretty good atlantis my friend! These finds make me want to get out and hunt!

As soon as the corn goes down I'll be there! :thumbsup:

StevenX

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
Albany scrapers seem to be a LA. phenom, I grew up and hunted in central Miss. and found lots of San Patrice on different sites. I've seen many collections from other local hunters in that area too and not a single Albany scraper in the bunch. They are neat little scrapers, just odd that they never caught on east of the Miss. river.

Both nice finds I'd say. Looks like the Motley was more a knife. Thats a classic example of an Albany too. Not so many Albanys here on the Red River, but 30 mi. south, they turn up as you said, around where San Patrice and Pelican points are found. What is that type of material that the Motley is made of. I find it occasionaly up here, but it does seem more frequent the farther south I go.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Atlantis!!

Atlantis, is there a reason that these are called Albany Scrapers? I know it is basically just a Spokeshave and I was just curious as to why the name Albany Scraper.

I have a few Spokeshaves myself, all found in southern Ohio. Ours are normally made on a flake and are uniface, but we occasionally find them made from a broken point also.

Here's a picture of mine.

Pics-032.jpg

DorkFish said:
Nice finds Atlantis!!

Atlantis, is there a reason that these are called Albany Scrapers? I know it is basically just a Spokeshave and I was just curious as to why the name Albany Scraper.

I have a few Spokeshaves myself, all found in southern Ohio. Ours are normally made on a flake and are uniface, but we occasionally find them made from a broken point also.
I suspect that the name Albany comes from the community that these were first identified as a diagnostic artifact type. I know there is an Albany in Texas for example. Generaly in this area, artifact types are named after the nearest community to where they were found....I.E. Motely (Motley Place, LA) Dehi, LA
Bulverde, Tex, Talco Texas....etc.
Here's a picture of mine.

Pics-032.jpg

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I am not certain as to the name Albany, but will give you what information I have. Of course Overstreets has them listed as Albany Knives in the 9th edition...South central section.

The San Patrice point was named by Dr. Clarence Webb after a bayou that runs near where I live. Bayou San Patricio. I have a small pamphlet written by Dr. Webb that he gave me about 26 years ago. It list Albany Spokeshaves as one of the artifact types found with San Patrice culture period. I will try and find that and scan a few pages and post them. Very interesting stuff. If memory serves he has listed Albany Spokeshaves and what he called "refined" spokeshaves which were a little better constructed.

You find many albany knives here....most you find have the characteristic half moon blade with a paleo type base....normally one or both sides have the cortex (outer rock layer) still left on the piece with chipping along the edges. I do have a few examples that are completely chipped. A friend found near my home one about 3 inches long and very well made...the best I have seen. Yea I wanted to kill him....lol.

Anyhow, neat little pieces that are sometimes overlooked or discarded because they are different looking.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Afternoon,

I'm going to elaborate on the term "Albany" knife or spokeshave a little.

This artifact was named for the Albany Road in NW Louisiana where many were recovered By Dr. Clarence Webb.

As Atlantis pointed out, Dr. Webb, a local peditrician and the most powerful and influential avocational archaeologist that ever lived in many peoples opinion, did indeed name this artifact. The only thing missing was how he came about the name. I just happened to know the origination of the name based on some old correspondence.

And now you know.............the rest of the story; as Paul Harvey would say.

Thanks for reading,

spot

ps..........hey atlantis, this is a secret....... :>)'s

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Guys, nice to see something a little different..
Interesting posts too. Atlantis, always like your threads.
Thankyou for sharin'

Molly. :)

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Hey Atlantis,

I love the old books, pamplets, memoirs, etc. from the early archaeologists. They're written in a very down to earth fashion and are not nearly as burdensome as some of todays more formal text. I mean, it's neccessary and great stuff but I'm not interested in reading a whole chapter on a bone chip if I'm communicating. Webb and his cohorts provide adequate summary for me.

I have this book/pamplet, it's thin, paperbound, 68 pages. The author is LeRoy Johnson, Jr. and the title is, "Great Plains Interlopers in the Eastern Woodlands During Late Paleoindian Times" ? Office of the State Archaeologist Report 36, Texas Historical Commission, published in 1989.

It is one of my favorite books and it took me quite a while to obtain a copy after I had read excerpts from it on-line years ago.

The book is about West meeting East during late paleo times....Cody Complex (Scottsbluffs, Edens, Cody Knives etc)....plus, the author includes Plainview and Red Smoke darts "MEET" Dalton and San Patrice cultures.

Lots of pen and inks cool map or two, great text...it's awesome and it's all about the things I like to collect and study most!

If you don't have a copy, you might want one. I'm betting this is right down your alley, I mean...Whats not to like about paleoindian anything???

Thanks for reading,

spot

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
spot said:
Hey Atlantis,

I love the old books, pamplets, memoirs, etc. from the early archaeologists. They're written in a very down to earth fashion and are not nearly as burdensome as some of todays more formal text. I mean, it's neccessary and great stuff but I'm not interested in reading a whole chapter on a bone chip if I'm communicating. Webb and his cohorts provide adequate summary for me.

I have this book/pamplet, it's thin, paperbound, 68 pages. The author is LeRoy Johnson, Jr. and the title is, "Great Plains Interlopers in the Eastern Woodlands During Late Paleoindian Times" ? Office of the State Archaeologist Report 36, Texas Historical Commission, published in 1989.

It is one of my favorite books and it took me quite a while to obtain a copy after I had read excerpts from it on-line years ago.

The book is about West meeting East during late paleo times....Cody Complex (Scottsbluffs, Edens, Cody Knives etc)....plus, the author includes Plainview and Red Smoke darts "MEET" Dalton and San Patrice cultures.

Lots of pen and inks cool map or two, great text...it's awesome and it's all about the things I like to collect and study most!

If you don't have a copy, you might want one. I'm betting this is right down your alley, I mean...Whats not to like about paleoindian anything???

Thanks for reading,

spot

Hey Spot, where can a guy get a copy of this book ?
Thanks

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
I got mine from a site like this in the sense that I posted that I was looking for the book and another poster happened to have a copy in his library. He sold it to me for twenty bucks which is about what I think its worth. I would have paid more even though it physically isn't worth it because I wanted to have all the knowledge of its contents. I might have paid 35-50 just because I wanted it and had been looking on and off for a year or two.

Take the info I posted and get busy with web searches..........that's what I did. You might try to see if the State Office will copy the book and send it to you. I had that offer one time. It's the book, just copied on a copier so you get the maps and all....it's just not bound.

Great book and you will "dig it"!

Thanks for reading,

spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread