All metal mode

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been using my Excaliber II for a few years but only for the couple months I'm at a beach. I have been using it in discriminate but for the first time I'm trying to primarily use Pinpoint mode to learn and possibly get more depth. Here are my questions
1. If I get a target in pinpoint, switch to discriminate and hear a null does that mean it's always steel?
2. If I get a target in pinpoint, switch to discriminate and the threshold does not change, does it mean that the target is just too deep for discriminate?
3. Why use pinpoint if you're not going to dig everything? How do you decide what to dig when using pinpoint?
Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Advice

So I've been using my Excaliber II for a few years but only for the couple months I'm at a beach. I have been using it in discriminate but for the first time I'm trying to primarily use Pinpoint mode to learn and possibly get more depth. Here are my questions
1. If I get a target in pinpoint, switch to discriminate and hear a null does that mean it's always steel?
2. If I get a target in pinpoint, switch to discriminate and the threshold does not change, does it mean that the target is just too deep for discriminate?
3. Why use pinpoint if you're not going to dig everything? How do you decide what to dig when using pinpoint?
Thanks for the help.

1. Means it's iron
2. Yes, take away one scoop of sand and recheck in discriminate to see if you then get a signal. The difference in depth between the 2 modes is just a few inches so one scoop take away is usually enough.
3. You use pinpoint to find the deepest available targets and target areas, then you switch to discriminate on each target and if you have to you do step number 2 above. This process helps you avoid digging: fish hooks, tent stakes, crab pot parts, iron scale, nails, screws, paper clips any iron. You don't usually make your decision on what to dig when you are in pin point. You wait until you switch to discriminate to make that decision.

This is why there is a big advantage to get the pin point mod done to your excal. This frequent switching by your thumb will become second nature to you after a while and you will realize how efficient this method is.

To switch the knob this often requires an extra hand all the time and it is a mechanical operation that will wear out the knob and pot.

Hope this makes sense to you.

OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That helps a lot. Thanks.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when hunting in PP you are using disc mode as a PPer. You are just trying to determine if its IRON..... if so move on. You can get targets in PP that in disc are just ignored by the machine not nulled. MOST of the time its iron........ but you have to take off a scoop just to check. Broken signals you have to check..... could be bottle caps or better targets. I run mine just out of AUTO so when switching there is a lot of chatter.....BUT pretty easy to hear repeatable targets.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Best thing to to. It's to take some iron like nails and set up a few test plots where you hunt and see what happens. Try to replicate the scenarios you posted. Results will vary from beach to beach.

Ill leave you with this. If you have a hunch just dig it.

-Joe

Thanks for the help.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main reason I use pinpoint is for separation. That's right. Plenty of times I've gotten a zip zip close together, switched to disc and only got a null. Most would keep walking, I investigate and usually it's a good target next to iron in the same hole. Recovery speed is horrid on the Excal, if you get two close signals in pp and one null in disc check it out.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The main reason I use pinpoint is for separation. That's right. Plenty of times I've gotten a zip zip close together, switched to disc and only got a null. Most would keep walking, I investigate and usually it's a good target next to iron in the same hole. Recovery speed is horrid on the Excal, if you get two close signals in pp and one null in disc check it out.

Very good Mike!! Hunting in Allmetal you get two targets next to each other, beap..beap. Single out the one in pp then quickly switch to disc then back before it sees the other target. You will get the tone/discriminated results then move to the other and check.. Some times you may have to turn the sensitivity down with targets on top of targets but a Big Advantage of hunting in PP and moving slow.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good Mike!! Hunting in Allmetal you get two targets next to each other, beap..beap. Single out the one in pp then quickly switch to disc then back before it sees the other target. You will get the tone/discriminated results then move to the other and check.. Some times you may have to turn the sensitivity down with targets on top of targets but a Big Advantage of hunting in PP and moving slow.
I don't even bother Joe, I'll just scoop it out and confirm I'm wrong lol

OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484742873.540210.jpg taking my time. Listening to tones. Trying to learn more. Thanks all for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread