Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember using those power tampers years ago, getting ready to pour concrete.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can remember using those power tampers years ago, getting ready to pour concrete.
They may not be that fun to use however compared to hours to do the same work with a sledge hammer I will give it a try from time to time.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps if you have enough space to move around, can be turned slowly when compacting dirt.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It helps if you have enough space to move around, can be turned when compacting dirt.
Correct as most compactors have the shoe at a angle so that there is forward travel with each stroke. May try a straight shoe so there is no angle for forward travel.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking a framed box of 2 x 12 yellow pine boards could give a large-scale processing area, if you had hard enough floor underneath. I would think smaller rock pieces to might work to make them crushed more. The idea would have to be tested first to see if viable.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking a framed box of 2 x 12 yellow pine boards could give a large-scale processing area, if you had hard enough floor underneath. I would think smaller rock pieces to might work to make them crushed more. The idea would have to be tested first to see if viable.
Thanks for the idea as a wood framed box is likely the best way to go with a turn around area at each end. This way the tamper is always moving forward and your body is also moving for good circulation and control.
Perhaps just sheet metal over the floor board would work as long as the whole box stays in place and does not move as well if it is pined down.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I was thinking of sheet metal. Then got to remembering how when working in construction, people drive heavy trucks and would get extra hard cement mix. The concrete company will make a richer mix then you pour the driveway thicker, so it holds out better for truck drivers. If you put down ordinary rocks first, pour the hard cement mix with rebar over. Yellow pine frame could be there when you pour, with 2 or 3 inches of in the cement. You might want to go with treated wood because it will be outside. Termites though, can eat treated lumber even if in concrete. Still might be a way to do it. Maybe mortar bricks or stone around the box. You can (when crushing) put larger ore rocks down first over hard cement floor, smaller ore chunks spread on top.

We also used yellow pine for step and porch forms, but the wood needs to be oiled so you can remove after cement sets up. This way your hard floor pad can have a containment short wall around it. If the short containment wall is made like top of a foundation wall, build a shed with a roof over your head.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First, I was thinking of sheet metal. Then got to remembering how when working in construction, people drive heavy trucks and would get extra hard cement mix. The concrete company will make a richer mix then you pour the driveway thicker, so it holds out better for truck drivers. If you put down ordinary rocks first, pour the hard cement mix with rebar over. Yellow pine frame could be there when you pour, with 2 or 3 inches of in the cement. You might want to go with treated wood because it will be outside. Termites though, can eat treated lumber even if in concrete. Still might be a way to do it. Maybe mortar bricks or stone around the box. You can (when crushing) put larger ore rocks down first over hard cement floor, smaller ore chunks spread on top.

We also used yellow pine for step and porch forms, but the wood needs to be oiled so you can remove after cement sets up. This way your hard floor pad can have a containment short wall around it. If the short containment wall is made like top of a foundation wall, build a shed with a roof over your head.
Correct and thanks for sharing as this would be great at a claim location.
The sheet metal over wood plank floor board should work well as a portable work set up.
The sheet metal will wear / give out over time however is light enough to carry around.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Y’all never ran a stamp mill...
Try moving a stamp mill up a 50 + degree slope not to mention getting water to it with out serious winch equipment.

The earth compactor will be way more portable then most stamp mills making it the only possible short term set up for some spots. A permeant set up with concrete and rebar is a different scenario / animal.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try hiring a skid operator to move equipment and you will find that most such operators will not move equipment over 30 degrees slope tops ( some will go say 35 degrees down hill). So this only leave's a tracked rig such as a cat bulldozer that you will have to pay for all of the surface damage that any tracked rig will make.

You will likely find the costs through the roof and you will have a failed project on your hands that you have to clean up.

A earth tamper or compactor is only around 100 lbs. fueled up. This can be carried by an animal or zip line if you can't hall it in yourself.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even if the earth tamper / compactor is used on just one or two rocks at a time will be a lot faster then a sledge hammer if the rock can be broken up with the machine.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any one shoot smaller rocks with a 12 gauge slug shotgun out there?
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread