What's new

Almost forgot this: bale seal?

toasted

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
3,452
Reaction score
14,368
Golden Thread
5
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig a lot of melted lead at this site and almost forgot to take a better look at this one. It appears to be a bale seal and it would be my first. :headbang:
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    340.1 KB · Views: 159
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    339.4 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 8
Looks 18th century. I have a very nice collection but was only able to add one this year.
 
Looks 18th century. I have a very nice collection but was only able to add one this year.

Are their any sources that could accurately date this piece? What did it most likely seal? Cloth?
 
Congrats on your first....they will add up...I'm over 50 now...got 4 this year...
 
Toasted, go to my post from October 12, 2015 "Killer Fur Trade era lead bale seal" & scroll down to Bramblefinds post.......he has links to our bale seals.
Sorry, I don't know how to post a direct link!

Iowa Dale
 
Toasted, go to my post from October 12, 2015 "Killer Fur Trade era lead bale seal" & scroll down to Bramblefinds post.......he has links to our bale seals.
Sorry, I don't know how to post a direct link!

Iowa Dale
Thanks. Your seal is very similar and much more complete and nicer I might add. They both most certainly date to circa 1800. Relics like these are what make this hobby so interesting and educational. I love how the back of these seals have hand scratched details on them
 
Last edited:
Yes, its a Lead Cloth Seal, rather than a bag seal. 18th C or earlier seems right, also has hand carved numbers on the back, this is fairly common, as they keep track of cloth length left etc...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom