What's new

Almost Homemade XP Deus Wireless Headphones

Pointman

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
2,646
Reaction score
1,585
Golden Thread
1
Location
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, AT Pro, Xterra 505, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an old set of Killer Bee headphones and decided to try and make a set of wireless headphones using my Deus headphone adapter. I used a piece of PC board as a backing to hold the adapter onto the headphones. Originally, I was going to cut and soldier the wires to the adapter, but instead I decided to cut and then drill a hole and run them back out and attache a 1/8" plug. This way, I am able to remove the adapter and have the option to not use the headphones. In hindsight, if I knew that I was going to do this, I would have just shortened and ran the headphones cable without having to drill and soldier a new lead.

The breadboard is 3 pieces stacked and I doped it up good with superglue to hold it all together. The adapter just clicks into place on the plastic, but I also have some very small screws to more permanently secure it.

They seem to work and it beats buying a separate set of headphones. All told it cost me less than $30 in parts although I bought new pads for the headphones and I already had the extra set to experiment on.

20140827_194819.webp 20140827_194852.webp 20140827_194931.webp20140827_194940.webp
 
Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The person or company that offers a line of plug and play wireless headphones for all the major brands will revolutionize and change the detector headphone industry forever. I'm one hell of a good machinist, but I am a slacker when it comes to electronics, or I would certainly do it.
 
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The person or company that offers a line of plug and play wireless headphones for all the major brands will revolutionize and change the detector headphone industry forever. I'm one hell of a good machinist, but I am a slacker when it comes to electronics, or I would certainly do it.

I have to agree. You don't know how good it is until you go wireless. I think that wires will be a thing of the past one day.
 
those wires can drive you nuts, must be so nice to not have your head sets get pulled down or off. I just hope that somebody will make an affordable set for my AT GOLD. I can see where someone would get very excited about them. it seems that part of the time I am digging in mud or there is a heavy dew and the constant re positioning of the headsets because of the cord means they can get pretty muddy as well. .... someday?
 
those wires can drive you nuts, must be so nice to not have your head sets get pulled down or off. I just hope that somebody will make an affordable set for my AT GOLD. I can see where someone would get very excited about them. it seems that part of the time I am digging in mud or there is a heavy dew and the constant re positioning of the headsets because of the cord means they can get pretty muddy as well. .... someday?

One you go wireless it is hard to go back. I just acquired a Etrac and I dread having to be hook up to the machine. Like having a metal detecting umbilical cord.
 
well right you are, my AT GOLD is now wireless and I love it (as I knew I would). I am using a cheap set of Rapoo H3070 ($34 at amazon) but they work for me. may someday get better quality but for right now the price is right.
 
What needs to be made is a transmitter and receiver with NO head phone! Rather than force us to use the head phones provided like the current wireless devices, they should just put the receiver in a small box with 1/4 and 1/8 jacks, volume, tone,frequency and power switch. On the back a nice belt clip that can be replaced it if breaks. This way you can use your favorite wired head phone that you already own and love. Wire goes under your shirt or jacket an is out of the way. This is not rocket science they have them already, it is a mater of profit.. Or lack there of from such a small market. Then add the fact that so many of the target demographic don't want to spend $200+, the makers loose any incentive to manufacture such a device at an affordable price.. whatever that is..
 
What needs to be made is a transmitter and receiver with NO head phone! Rather than force us to use the head phones provided like the current wireless devices, they should just put the receiver in a small box with 1/4 and 1/8 jacks, volume, tone,frequency and power switch. On the back a nice belt clip that can be replaced it if breaks. This way you can use your favorite wired head phone that you already own and love. Wire goes under your shirt or jacket an is out of the way. This is not rocket science they have them already, it is a mater of profit.. Or lack there of from such a small market. Then add the fact that so many of the target demographic don't want to spend $200+, the makers loose any incentive to manufacture such a device at an affordable price.. whatever that is..

This is one of the reasons that I don't prefer the Deus for my own use. I like the the obvious features of it (lightweight, fast) but can't stand that it uses an 1/8" jack, is somewhat fragile and is very hard to see. Some folks will beg to differ, but these are my thoughts.

I would go back to the machine if it was just more durable and had some nice way of waterproofing the control box and still being about to mount it without having to by a phone case and gluing the adapter to the back of it. On the positive side, I think the programs are well developed.

I am like the other poster said. I used to work as a machinist. From an electronics standpoint, I am illiterate. If someone was able to create a universal wireless remote, like the CTX and have a transmitter that plugs into the 1/4" headphone port of the detector, they will be onto something. It would also have to be able to change freqs.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom