🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491498643.860944.jpg

Used my boot to clear some pine straw and leaves from an iron signal in the woods today and got a bit of a surprise. Luckily it had already been triggered...

Upvote 9

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! I thought those things were illegal or had to be properly marked or something?

I'd say you would have lost a lot more than your toe, had you stepped in it!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wearing boots, thats a pretty small trap, at worse a broken toe if it got you just right. ide be more worried about dogs and other animals.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to trap years ago, looks like a 1 1/2 Victor trap. Would have gave you a good scare but, I think your toes were safe. Lol
It should have a name tag on chain for trap somewhere. I would think trapping season is out now?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1436160

Used my boot to clear some pine straw and leaves from an iron signal in the woods today and got a bit of a surprise. Luckily it had already been triggered...

Yep. I hope you checked it out for a name Tag.

84f347d9fb72dd36d64997f169578274.jpg

Odds are it is at least 30 Years old, & the original trapper gone to the Happy Trapping Ground :laughing7:( & the likely reason it was never Removed)
They were still in use here in the 60's maybe 70's, but somewhere down the Line the Crybabies got their way.

Cool Find, Probably with Value :thumbsup:

Last edited:

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're still allowed to use them here in Maryland, my bread and butter tool. I've caught every one of my fingers at one time or another and still have them all

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're still allowed to use them here in Maryland, my bread and butter tool. I've caught every one of my fingers at one time or another and still have them all

I don't trap so Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:
I do know there was allot of crying over them

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't trap so Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:
I do know there was allot of crying over them

You're right a lot of places have banned leg holds. Most people have forgotten that fur trapping opened up this country and was a big economic plus for many.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geobound, easy there. A little education of trapping would go a long way. I totally understand the fear mongering by PETA and HSUS, but it's unfounded in most cases. Do your own research and don't believe everything you read from the anti's.
Proper name is Foothold, not leghold.
That trap isn't that old, most likely dropped (unless there was a rebar stake attached through the anchor into the ground when found) within last year or two.
Legal in many states still. What is no longer legal is 'teeth' on the jaws, but some states may still allow those too.
Hard to tell what size from the pic, could be anywhere from 1.5 (fox, coon, fisher) to 3 (bobcat, coyote).
Easiest way to unset a foothold trap...step on it. A human's shod foot is way to big to do any harm at all.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be pissed if my coil got snapped by one of those.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geobound, easy there. A little education of trapping would go a long way. I totally understand the fear mongering by PETA and HSUS, but it's unfounded in most cases. Do your own research and don't believe everything you read from the anti's.
That trap isn't that old, most likely dropped (unless there was a rebar stake attached through the anchor into the ground when found) within last year or two.
Legal in many states still. What is no longer legal is 'teeth' on the jaws, but some states may still allow those too.
Hard to tell what size from the pic, could be anywhere from 1.5 (fox, coon, fisher) to 3 (bobcat, coyote).
Easiest way to unset a foothold trap...step on it. A human's shod foot is way to big to do any harm at all.

Yes it doesn't look like it Got Rusty yet so My 30+ year estimate is probably way off :laughing7:

I Don't really want to stat a Debate but, One of the complaints I seem to remember was that some Animals would Chew their Leg/foot off
to get out. Which of course suggests to me, animals don't feel pain like we do.
I'd never chew a limb off me without passing out first.

And you may be right that the Bear type traps with teeth were the real Target

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find,, wonder what kind of damage that would do to a coil.

it won't.
if it does. buy a different brand detector
because your coil is made of cheap styrofoam :laughing7:

I'd say it's just slightly more powerful then a Mouse trap
but would probably break a Bare Finger

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you overestimated my reply, but it's good to know that it's much smaller than it looks.

I'm not a hunter or a trapper.

I have no interest in shooting animals for sport, but won't criticize those that do.

I snowmobile, and ATV and metal detect, and.....and......and, I'm sure that there are those out there that think those are dumb hobbies too.

I only merely stated that I thought they were illegal, but I didn't put down my double bacon cheese burger to say it was wrong.

The "OMG" part was because (admittedly not knowing much about them) it looked bigger than I thought it was, and figured the OP was lucky he could still tap dance.

But like WarBaby said, "I'd be pissed if my coil got snapped off by one of those".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks to me like it's fist size inside once closed

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to trap and had my fingers closed on more than one occasion just would've scared ya

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Traps are not designed to lose a catch.( severed foot considered a loss)
Laws determine size allowed trappers select size for targeted specie. Law determines maximum allowed intervals in checking sets.
Pinch foot... ,not sever or break bone ,not shearing through hide.
Accidental catches of a domestic cat running loose or possum can be released without ambulatory care. I have released a young possum that despite a few curse words strolled off on all four feet. No spurting artery , bloody gore ,no missing parts.

No bloody toe stumps are going to result from a boot stepping on any 1 1/ 2 or #2 footholds.
How a detector coil would trigger one .... oh ,never mind.
Save the sheared off body parts imagination drama ,for yo momma.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread