Almost time to swap hobbies for a while!

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i

Attachments

• CDY_1072.jpg
    CDY_1072.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 82
I hear ya, duck season starts saturday here and I just pulled my decoys out and got them ready. Last weekend I sighted in my bow and did some clay pigion shooting. This is going to be a good season.

I agree, everyone should hang up their detectors for the season.

You could always combine your interests and MD for your lost arrows.Que' No?!

You guys must be pantywaists!

It does get cold down here in the desert southwest, but it is possible to hunt year round if you cover up. If it is too blustery, I cover up with my Tyvek paper overalls and go about my business.

Yep ....... it is that time. Gotta get my daughter on a big one this year. Took this one just above the house and she has informed me that I am grounded till she gets his brother.
12 point 009.JPG

You could always combine your interests and MD for your lost arrows.Que' No?!

HVACer- that is exactly why I got my First detector back in the mid - 80's!!!

Fellow brought one in a pawn shop while I was here buying some MORE arrows- and some how the question came out- Will that pick up aluminum arrows? Probably- Lets see. Big WWWEEEE noise-when he passed it over one. He wanted $20.00- I gave him $20 and the pawn shop guy was MAD that I cut his business- But I promptly found enough $2.00 arrows (at that time) to pay it off before dark that first day!

Didn't really get the bug to hunt treasure till a few years later- but Again- That is exactly how I started!
Awesome call.
PEACE

I just shoot them off my back porch 25 acre pasture.... 2 acre pond in the middle... watching two 10 points now... ducks turkey and deer...but metal detect till late December.
Gary

How about MDing in between the morning and afternoon hunts, in the areas you're NOT hunting or planning to hunt? Or for that matter, take your MD along with you when you scout out a new area just prior to the season or during the season, using headphones of course. I'm new to MDing but for many years I've hunted here in Texas and guided for Elk and Mule Deer up in Colorado. Don't see why you'd have to hang one up for the other.

Almost as well for me as I crushed 600 lbs of Ruby Red Cabernet grapes over the weekend and they are in my gameroom in a fermentation barrel ready for pressing this weekend! Need some anti freeze for the cold Pa. winters!
Rich

Almost as well for me as I crushed 600 lbs of Ruby Red Cabernet grapes over the weekend and they are in my gameroom in a fermentation barrel ready for pressing this weekend! Need some anti freeze for the cold Pa. winters!
Rich

I'm not sure there is anything more invigorating than sticking my head in a vat of bubbling fermenting wine and taking a big hit. Clears the sinuses. Gets the head right. It's civilized. Makes me realize the virtues of patience.

My hands shake to bad for bows anymore, now its wait till November 15, had to make a stand for my .44 mag ruger, cannot afford to use my other rifle, last time I checked, a box of ammo, at least the 500 grain ones was 180 bucks a box..maybe time to part with that one.

Mike

a box of ammo, at least the 500 grain ones was 180 bucks a box..Mike

Good Lord man- what rifle are you shooting 500 grains out of!!?? That's a solid 12 ga slug or Buffalo bullet from a 54 cal muzzeloader? Maybe an African game Double rifle?

I reloaded about 12 boxes of 270 Win with Nosler Ballistics- back about 10 years ago and still have 10 of them left...
Don't use too many up when every bullet makes a clean kill. Of course that's on 180lb Louisiana whitetails- those big chunkers up north might need more thump... but dang! 500 grains- I don't want that kick either.

It is for one of the rifles I inherited from my pops, that one is a weatherby mark v safari .460 magnum, really meant for very large game, like say a elephant, I have only shot it a few times, and I am a huge guy, for a week after, it felt like my shoulder was dislocated.

Mike

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back