Aloha from the newbs

fishaddicit

Feb 9, 2011
Oahu, Hawaii
Hope I'm not breaking protocall with the forum but I posted some pics in the bottles section. Me and my son are new to this type of treasures, we have spent most of our time coin collecting and have recently looked for other treasures. The following are from our 1st week of looking...this week. Any info would be great on the inkwell. It was found under the roots of an uprooted tree. It is an 2" Keuffel & Esser Co. from NY. We have not been able to get much info on it except for app. age..1867-1879?? Thanks for any help that you may provide.

Attachments

• SV204401.JPG
    SV204401.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 309
  • SV204403.JPG
    SV204403.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 305
  • SV204407.JPG
    SV204407.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 317
  • SV204401.JPG
    SV204401.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 307
  • SV204403.JPG
    SV204403.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 303

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
I can't help much on the ink, but the guys on the Bottles & Glass forum are a veritable wealth of information :read2:

I can help with the Coke bottles though, look for a couple small numbers printed on the lower portion of the bottle (I'd call it the waist area). There should be two 2-digit numbers separated by a circle with a diamond in it. The first is a batch number, the second is the year it was made :icon_sunny:

808kaz

Nov 22, 2009
OAHU, HAWAII
Howzit Fishaddict,
Welcome...I've collected a few coins myself... if the ink came from the 1860's-1870's it would probably have a pontil mark on the base which is does not have, it appears to be a machine made from the 1920's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keuffel_and_Esser the Coke is probably from the 1920's to the 50's, the war years mid 40's the Coke was clear in the 60's they came out with painted label coke bottles...The pick a pop is from the early70's and was the last painted label bottle from Hawaii...aloha Kaz

OP
OP
F

fishaddicit

Feb 9, 2011
Oahu, Hawaii
I appreciate the helpful info. I had loked at that wiki page and that was why I had mentioned the early dates. Due to the moving to NJ and the year they started making surveying equipment I assumed this was one of their earlier pieces. As for the coke bottles thanks for the dates. All of these came from the Ewa Beach area. Not gonna ask for any areas but is there much reason for me to look on the west side for dig sites?
Thanks again,
><}}}}}*>

808kaz

Nov 22, 2009
OAHU, HAWAII
fishaddicit said:
I appreciate the helpful info. I had loked at that wiki page and that was why I had mentioned the early dates. Due to the moving to NJ and the year they started making surveying equipment I assumed this was one of their earlier pieces. As for the coke bottles thanks for the dates. All of these came from the Ewa Beach area. Not gonna ask for any areas but is there much reason for me to look on the west side for dig sites?
Thanks again,
><}}}}}*>
Aloha Fishaddicit....You are welcome for the information...As for dig sites on the West-side...Unfortunately a lot of the good areas are all developed...I looked along the Old Fort Weaver Road behind the old store and found nothing, my friend did find a early Ewa Bottling Works behind the store, just luck...I dug recently with a friend by the old Waipahu sugar mill pump house along the river, it's all dug up but there are pockets of areas that are not dug, the place is very dusty and a dust mask is required, the dirt is also very loose and tends to come down when you start getting to deep and start to undermine so you gotta be very careful not to bury yourself, there are also homeless people living by the pump house in the bushes, I've never had any problems with them but I would keep an eye on my stuffs...we found a few 1920's sodas from Waipahu soda works, Ewa soda works, Oahu soda works Aiea and a Dairysmen milk bottle...another place is down Yokohama, I've never been there but know a few people who dug there before...Like fishing, you gotta be consistent and luck plays a big part in finding bottles...hope this help aloha Kaz

OP
OP
F

fishaddicit

Feb 9, 2011
Oahu, Hawaii
808kaz said:
fishaddicit said:
Thanks again,
><}}}}}*>
Aloha Fishaddicit....You are welcome for the information...As for dig sites on the West-side...Unfortunately a lot of the good areas are all developed...I looked along the Old Fort Weaver Road behind the old store and found nothing, my friend did find a early Ewa Bottling Works behind the store, just luck...I dug recently with a friend by the old Waipahu sugar mill pump house along the river, it's all dug up but there are pockets of areas that are not dug, the place is very dusty and a dust mask is required, the dirt is also very loose and tends to come down when you start getting to deep and start to undermine so you gotta be very careful not to bury yourself, there are also homeless people living by the pump house in the bushes, I've never had any problems with them but I would keep an eye on my stuffs...we found a few 1920's sodas from Waipahu soda works, Ewa soda works, Oahu soda works Aiea and a Dairysmen milk bottle...another place is down Yokohama, I've never been there but know a few people who dug there before...Like fishing, you gotta be consistent and luck plays a big part in finding bottles...hope this help aloha Kaz

I really do appreciate the info..Me and the boy were heading Old Fort Weaver tomorrow.. Guess were gonna just go for a long walk in a gulley somewhere. Thanks so much for the help and looking forward to posting our first god find!
And I understand the fishing...go slide bait for 3 months and nothing, go family baitcast and Hanapa'a!!

808kaz

Nov 22, 2009
OAHU, HAWAII
hawaiiandigger said:
Hey Newbs,
Come to the Blaisdell Center this weekend and meet the club members.
ALOHA !!! :headbang:
I'll be there...Kaz

Attachments

• 2010 Bottle show.jpg
    2010 Bottle show.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 2010 Bottle show 1.jpg
    2010 Bottle show 1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 2010 Bottle show 2.jpg
    2010 Bottle show 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 290