billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about selling some solid aluminum old work truck sliding drawer tool boxes. They are 4' deep, and 14" wide with double sliding aluminum drawers with "Diamond Plate" aluminum tops and 100% aluminum.

On my scales, each weighs 45lbs. Eight round sliding nylon rollers and the aluminum drawer tracks are held in with a total of 4 short steel bolts.

Is there an issue of a lower price when selling them with such little steel and nylon rollers? Should I spend the time and pull those non aluminum parts?

What is a good price for the unpainted, extruded, and plate Aluminum?

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
Re: Aluminum boxes with 4 steel bolts

Depends on how picky your yard is. If you can remove the steel without too much trouble I would do it. Ext Alum by me is .75, MLC Alum is .65 and Dirty Alum .40 prices were from Feb so may be higher now...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Can you sell the boxes on Craigslist? You'll get more money for them.

I sold some dirty alum a few months ago, and got a whopping 55 cents a pound. That means that one tool box will bring $24.75, if your yard will pay that much.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
I agree try craigslist first you will get a lot more money for them

Thanks for the input, guys.

Here's some shots of them. The local scrap dealer posts .71-cents for extruded aluminum... The smaller cabinets weigh 45lbs. each and the larger 3-drawer cabinets weigh about 100 lbs.... So, they may be worth $ 250.00 as scrap....

Do you think these cabinets would sell for that much or more if pressure washed and cleaned up?

Attachments

• P1010930 (Medium).JPG
    P1010930 (Medium).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 652
  • P1010932 (Medium).JPG
    P1010932 (Medium).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 628
  • P1010931 (Medium).JPG
    P1010931 (Medium).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 659

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

heck I bet you could get around $50 each if ya cleaned them up. Wish I had a couple of them for my truck lol I'd hang onto them and keep posting them on craigslist week I wouldn't scrap them at all someone will buy them. Heck a pawn shop might give ya a good deal on them also. Maybe even more than scrap price. If ya don't need the money right now then sell them

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.

Hell put them up for sale if they don't sell then scrap them. Unless you just need the money fast what's a few more days. Just make sure u get more than what there worth in scrap

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

At my local yard, you would have to remove the locks and any other non aluminum metals to get full price.

They are sticklers for clean extruded.

I think you can get that much for them, or maybe more...

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008

To the right guy those boxes would be worth three times their scrap value. List them on CL and see what happens. Scrapping is quick cash, but is not always the best route. I assure you that if those boxes were here, they would be listed on CL. Anyone even check out what they cost new? WOW!!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billjustbill said:
I'm thinking about selling some solid aluminum old work truck sliding drawer tool boxes. They are 4' deep, and 14" wide with double sliding aluminum drawers with "Diamond Plate" aluminum tops and 100% aluminum.

On my scales, each weighs 45lbs. Eight round sliding nylon rollers and the aluminum drawer tracks are held in with a total of 4 short steel bolts.

Is there an issue of a lower price when selling them with such little steel and nylon rollers? Should I spend the time and pull those non aluminum parts?

I took the following to the scrap yard on 06/09

I took 5 aluminum car rims and got: 86lbs at .67 lb
7lbs of cast aluminum at .41 lb.
142lbs of yellow brass at $1.95 lb.
2 of the 3 toolboxes were heavier: 181lbs of clip Aluminum at .52 lb

As a followup, here's what happened to the 6 aluminum tool boxes I paid a total of $40.00 for.

I sold three of them, as is, in my garage sale and got $105.00
Yesterday, after taking out the steel bolts and nylon rollers, I took the other three to the scrap yard. (I kept out the extruded drawer runners for a future project)They classified the tool boxes as. "Aluminum Mill-Clips". Every aluminum toolbox had the "Diamond Plating" pattern on top. They said that the flat aluminum used to make the toolboxes was not "extruded aluminum" but flat aluminium. Extruded Alum. pays .68 but flat aluminum paid .52 a lb.

My question: Isn't long, wide, and flat aluminum extruded in the beginning? Is this what you see with the scrap dealers you deal with?

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010

billjustbill said:
billjustbill said:

I took the following to the scrap yard on 06/09

I took 5 aluminum car rims and got: 86lbs at .67 lb
7lbs of cast aluminum at .41 lb.
142lbs of yellow brass at $1.95 lb.
2 of the 3 toolboxes were heavier: 181lbs of clip Aluminum at .52 lb

As a followup, here's what happened to the 6 aluminum tool boxes I paid a total of $40.00 for.

I sold three of them, as is, in my garage sale and got $105.00
Yesterday, after taking out the steel bolts and nylon rollers, I took the other three to the scrap yard. They classified the tool boxes as. "Aluminum Mill-Clips". Every aluminum toolbox had the "Diamond Plating" pattern on top. They said that the flat aluminum used to make the toolboxes was not "extruded aluminum" but flat aluminium. Extruded Alum. pays .68 but flat aluminum paid .52 a lb.

My question: Isn't long, wide, and flat aluminum extruded in the beginning? Is this what you see with the scrap dealers you deal with?

I have been paid both Extruded price and MLC price for them. Not sure why maybe just the gut at the scale!
Ext by me in So. Az is .75 lb and MLC .70 a pound. Dirty ALum / furnace alum is at .35

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Nope. Diamond plate is sheet AL. Extruded is sent thru an extruding machine, kinda like the old Play-Doh machines we all had as kids. I seen some of those exact same tool boxes sell at a farm auction a month ago. There were 4 boxes and they sold for $525.00! Holy cow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread