Aluminum vs. Titanium

Jsayre1234

Mar 13, 2008
aluminum is soft and easily workable it will not spark when ground with a cutting wheel. I beleive titanium might throw some kind of a spark, maybe not. It is harder stiffer and tougher than aluminum and I think a bit heavier, but not positive. try to google the characteristics of aluminum VS. titanium

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Jsayre1234 said:
aluminum is soft and easily workable it will not spark when ground with a cutting wheel. I beleive titanium might throw some kind of a spark, maybe not. It is harder stiffer and tougher than aluminum and I think a bit heavier, but not positive. try to google the characteristics of aluminum VS. titanium

Titanium will throw off a strong white spark, aluminum will not spark at all. If you put a piece of steel to a grinder, it will throw off yellow, the titanium will be strong white. Where did you get some scrap titanium anyways?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know tavis, i was wondering the same thing. hopefully nobody got some body parts they want to get rid of. I just read a story about that. too wierd for words. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didn't get any titanium scrap but i was wondering what to look for if i get some

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Boy parts huh. I know of some ladies who wish something was made from titanium ;D
But seriously, I'm not sure where you'd even find titanium that you could scrap. I know around here, the junkyards probably wouldn't even take it.

O

ohannos

Does titanium stick to a magnet? found a piercing the other day(does not stick to magnet) and wonder if it is made of stainless steel or titanium.
thanks/ ohannos

bronc88

Jul 1, 2008
yeah they will take em just keep em separate. for some reason they have to grind em up separate. so get them kittys eating lol.

hamma

Feb 28, 2011
my uncle recently died i inherited his tools he worked for a company making prostetic limbs i believe i have alot of titanium scrap and expensive carbide bits and other tools of the tade if any one knos about this type of thing please help

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
ohannos said:
Does titanium stick to a magnet? found a piercing the other day(does not stick to magnet) and wonder if it is made of stainless steel or titanium.
thanks/ ohannos

No.

dwebb210

Jun 10, 2010
Having worked at a metallurgical lab for several years, I've accumulated a few pounds of scrap titanium.
I have no idea why I've kept it, as it isn't worth much.

Anyway, as already mentioned, titanium will throw bright white sparks on a grinder.

Also, titanium isn't readily attacked by acids or caustics.

Aluminum is violently attacked by hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) and caustic soda (draino)
Both chemicals are relatively common and available at most hardware stores.

btornado71

Nov 7, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
titanium can be found on most golf drivers (woods) now days. yard sales are a great place to pick them up cheap. I don't know the value however

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Ti sparks white, no magnet pull. some types are worth more like 6-4 ti, it's about $3.50 per pound, bulk weld will pay more Cp ti and steel mill ti pay the least. here anyway

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
davest said:
you know tavis, i was wondering the same thing. hopefully nobody got some body parts they want to get rid of. I just read a story about that. too wierd for words. :icon_scratch:
I bought nickel ref. Knees and hips yesterday

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hamma said:
my uncle recently died i inherited his tools he worked for a company making prostetic limbs i believe i have alot of titanium scrap and expensive carbide bits and other tools of the tade if any one knos about this type of thing please help

Years ago, when General Dynamic was purchased by Lockeed/Martin, a surplus place bought lots of bits and cutters. The way they separated the high speed steel cutters from the carbide was by hand and a magnet.

Carbide is much LESS attracted by the magnet. You'll know the difference when you pull one of each kind off the same magnet.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hamma said:
Do some Google searches on the tools!! If they're vintage you're in luck. Vintage tools are booming, I can't believe some of the offers I'm getting now. Check out some local shops. You can make more on carbide bits themselves than you can for scrap value. Again, check out the tools carefully you may have a gold mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread