Aluminum What the Heck is This Thing?

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hi Super Sleuth T-netters, I know we all dig a lot of whatzits that just need to be added to the junk pile and left alone but this piece i came across while reviewing some of my finds from this summer and thought I would take a shot at getting it identified. This is what i can tell you about it;
It is all aluminum. It is two pieces,one slid tightly into the other. The largest part is 1-1/4 inch diameter. The smallest opening is oval shaped with a lip.
It came from a cellarhole area that produced a couple of two cent pieces 1864&1865,two 1865 and one 1868 Indian Head and a souvenir spoon from the 1893 Worlds Fair. I know that doesn't necessarily date the piece but I think i can be safe to say it is from the mid to late 1800's. This site also produced what i thought was an unusual amount of harmonica reed bases,at least 6 or 7 so my first thought was that this piece looked like it could be part of a musical instrument? I doubt it since it's aluminum.
Any ideas greatly appreciated,have fun and thanks in advance for any ideas!
Jerry

Attachments

• curve aluminum.JPG
    curve aluminum.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 562
  • curve aluminum1.JPG
    curve aluminum1.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 566
  • curve aluminum2.JPG
    curve aluminum2.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 554

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue on this one--but it looks similar to early pewter whistles (except for the bend in the "mouthpiece").

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for all your responses,I'm liking the ear horn idea Blacksheep. It is definitely aluminum and resembles this ear piece I found on ebay of an antique ear horn..
Jerry

Attachments

• ear horn.jpg
    ear horn.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
If that's aluminum, it's not as old as those pennies. Through the mid-1800's aluminum was so rare that it was worth more than its weight in gold. Even as late as 1884, aluminum was so precious (and more expensive than silver), that it was used for the apex of the Washington Monument.

My guess is that its pewter, not aluminum, or else it's not nearly that old. Besides, aluminum doesn't corrode like that; after it forms a thin oxidation layer, it is essentially impervious to corrosion. I am going with the pewter whistle guess.

Jeff

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be a type of medicine spoon?

gibson-spoon-pewter-101.jpg

This one is circa 1835.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Happy Thanksgiving t-netters!
Thanks for all your replies,Alnitak,I appreciate the info on aluminum history. I believe your idea that this item is from a later era is correct. I'm not sure how long this site was occupied but I'm guessing til sometime past the turn of the century.
On my DFX I get a VDI reading of 51 on this piece of pewter spoon and an 81 on the mystery piece. After shining a small area of each piece I'm convinced now that the whatzit is aluminum and not an 1800's item.Again thanks for all your ideas,have a good Thanksgiving!!
Jerry

Attachments

• pewter.JPG
    pewter.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread