Always bring a pan

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took the kids out for a hike Saturday.
I didn't put a pan in the pack, whomever designed my kid carrying pack should have put in more storage pockets. There is just enough space for diapers, water and a few snacks. I thought about making room in my son's camel pack, but knew he would need all the extra room for "interesting rocks" he picked up along the way. There was a spot were the trail crossed the stream and the kids wanted to stomp around and look for rocks. While there I noticed a couple of pockets of black sand, which really stood out because most the sand was blond. While I didn't have a pan but I had a extra 1 gallon zip lock bag. Filled it up 2/3 of the way. A couple of people walk up while I was scooping sand into bag. You could see the look in their eyes "what the heck is this guy doing" not many prospectors here in Utah. Nice hike with kids and a little gold to boot. Would have been been good spot to pan with kids. Not much water flow only had to keep my eyes on them, not have to be within 1 foot of them at all times.
Lesson learned, ALWAYS MAKE ROOM FOR A PAN!!

Attachments

• 1468294820240.jpg
    1468294820240.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 1468294846754.jpg
    1468294846754.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 1468294880144.jpg
    1468294880144.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 1468294896344.jpg
    1468294896344.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Id be more inclined to just leave the kids at home..........:laughing7: but then I don't care much for the little trouble makers anyway.
Nice bit of gold outa the little you brought home....:thumbsup:

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I loved educating people up above Tibble's...they have no clue! Is that Mary Ellens? Or the 4x4 trail up to

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's over by granite flats. They are extending tibble res right now. Pushing it back up the canyon about 200 yards. They are digging out that flat area of gravels. Unfortunately they are hauling that dirt to the north side the lake up the mountain side where you won't be able to dig.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As each of my children turned 4 years of age I began taking them with me into wilderness country where one always needs to stay close to the little ones, we had a blast! To teach them about the out of doors and to experience with them all the learning and change from being in the city, is worth at least 20 oz. of gold...............63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen as just spent 2 days with kids/gkids and out to the claims we went, gone now bummer. Great post on what matters most, the next generation...kudos-John

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Best gold i ever found was in the watchins of my kids just flat out enjoying the mnt.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For me it's all about spending quality time with the family. I didn't have kids until my mid 30s. So I had plenty of time to mess around when I was a little younger. Now it's all about them. They will be gone and on there own to quick, so I'll enjoy them as kids as much as possible.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
For me it's all about spending quality time with the family. I didn't have kids until my mid 30s. So I had plenty of time to mess around when I was a little younger. Now it's all about them. They will be gone and on there own to quick, so I'll enjoy them as kids as much as possible.
Same here utah..first pair of rugrats in my 30s but the ex took off with them 5 yrs ago ...being a sucker for punishment started afresh.... at 50 !! love spending as much time as poss with them

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same here utah..first pair of rugrats in my 30s but the ex took off with them 5 yrs ago ...being a sucker for punishment started afresh.... at 50 !! love spending as much time as poss with them

Dang 50! I thought I was the old dad at the playground. I take my kids to birthday parties for other kids at their daycare and the other parents are usually in their early 20s (this is Utah a lot start families at 18 ) sometimes the grandparents are my age 😃

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang 50! I thought I was the old dad at the playground. I take my kids to birthday parties for other kids at their daycare and the other parents are usually in their early 20s (this is Utah a lot start families at 18 ) sometimes the grandparents are my age 😃
yeah it took the new wife a bit to talk me round ...but its fun..l really enjoy telling peeps I'm not the grandad but the dad....especially when the wife is present, just the envy on the other husbands faces when they realise Shelby (wife) is almost 1/2 my age...lol. Age means nothing its whats in the heart...

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a tiny pan? Go to Hobby Lobby and in the science section pick up one of the gold panning kits. Nice hunk of pyrite/arsenopyrite and beach sand with pyrite pickers for paydirt, and a 6" pan (more like a bowl) with 2 ridge type riffles. That might fit in a pack a little easier, and it's better than nothing! The kit is around $15.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions