What's new

Amazing condition Hobo Nickle found in the ocean and a gold ring

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
7,236
Golden Thread
2
Location
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the dual field back from repair yesterday. was working a beach out in chest deep water decided only to dig the faint sounds due to so much aluminium just under the surface.got my 83rd Gold ring for the year and a hobo nickel dated 1929 have seen pictures of these nickles and always hoped I would find one. What I have noticed is that you never see any posted on here, unlike GW buttons, Gold coins ect. So am I right that they are hard to find? Looking foward to everyone's input. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 1438211732311.webp
    1438211732311.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 1438211752753.webp
    1438211752753.webp
    76.4 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:
Upvote 64
Banner Vote here also on the HoBo Nick!! Some very nice treasures!
 
I love hobo nickels I've always wanted to find one. That's so awesome. They can be worth a few bucks depending on how well the detail is some sell few 20 some for 250 but that's awesome! Great job
 
Never heard of them before today. Well done, indeed!!! Now I have a new "quest"! :laughing7:
 
Both awesome finds! Congrats! Maybe a little more story line on the nickel it may go Banner!
 
Kind of a shame that it depends on how well you write as much as what the item is to make banner. I'm not that good at writing
 
Definitely can't hurt your chances to let people know about this - extraordinary find , and I think you just did that !
 
Kind of a shame that it depends on how well you write as much as what the item is to make banner. I'm not that good at writing

You must be pretty good if you got your own chapter in the new book :thumbsup: Besides I don't think it's the quality of the writing they are looking for -- just a little write up on it's recovery, your thoughts, etc. and any research. This is an interesting find in that as I wrote if you can identify the artist some of these original hobo nickles are not only great pieces of history but very collectible (valuable), but it all depends if you can attribute the artist. There are many of these on eBay and it seems that many new ones are being made with all sorts of designs. Of course these older hand made ones during the Great Depression are the real deal.
 
Yes great find. Many people don't know about Hobo nickels and they should Google it. While new ones exsist with made from modern power tools this is a rare find. Sorry I was excited and jumped right past the coin date.l
 
Last edited:
Congratz! Great Finds. I've seen Hobo nickels at coin shows. Never heard of one being dug.
 
Yes great find. Many people don't know about Hobo nickels and they should Google it. While new ones exsist with made from modern power tools this is a rare find. Was it made from a buffalo nickel or more modern nickel?

This one is made from a Buffalo nickel, as you can see the original nose of the Indian. These were the nickels in circulation at the time when the "hobos" were making them (and maybe still in circulation in SC too :dontknow: :laughing7:).
 
Thanks Eric in NJ. How do I research the carver?
 
Kind of a shame that it depends on how well you write as much as what the item is to make banner. I'm not that good at writing

"How well you write????"
The my votes were likely never heard/Read.

Sorry I believe I read that wrong.
You meant the Finder of the Item ...daaaaa
 
Last edited:
Super finds, congratulations! Hobo nickle is now on my bucket list...Sub 8-)
 
"How well you write????"
The my votes were likely never heard/Read.

That was re the OP's post of the item (good pics also help the cause), not the banner votes. I think you just click on the Banner button and say why you think it's a banner find and that's it. But you have to vote with the button, you just can say Banner find here. :thumbsup:
 
That's is a pretty darn cool find!!
 
Thanks Eric in NJ. How do I research the carver?

This is a pretty good link of attributable carvers:

Original Hobo Nickel Society

I'd contact someone at the society as well as they might be able to help. As for other Hobo Nickels I know I saw one or two posted on Find Mall years ago. I'd search the archives here to as people here find 100x more than most other MD sites.
 
Now that I got that misunderstanding out of the way.

I want to say IMO t=The nickel is a Banner find & will vote that way momentarily.

Also IMO It is a Work of art Great Detail on the carving on an Old Buff, at that. & STILL A DATE (even if it is a Later Date buff,).
Does the Back Still have the Buffalo on it?

An amazing accomplishment esp, if made by a Hobo Riding the Rails.
Ill have to research if that's how/who made them.
&
80+ gold rings in a Year!
Ill be lucky to get that many in my lifetime . I gotta move to the Coast. LOL
 
Yes I went back and saw date and edited my post right after.
 
I will give it the Banned nod too! Plymouthian, please post a better hi-res pic when you can so we can see the detail on it. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom