What's new

Amazing condition Hobo Nickle found in the ocean and a gold ring

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
7,236
Golden Thread
2
Location
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the dual field back from repair yesterday. was working a beach out in chest deep water decided only to dig the faint sounds due to so much aluminium just under the surface.got my 83rd Gold ring for the year and a hobo nickel dated 1929 have seen pictures of these nickles and always hoped I would find one. What I have noticed is that you never see any posted on here, unlike GW buttons, Gold coins ect. So am I right that they are hard to find? Looking foward to everyone's input. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 1438211732311.webp
    1438211732311.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 1438211752753.webp
    1438211752753.webp
    76.4 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:
Upvote 64
This is a pretty good link of attributable carvers:

Original Hobo Nickel Society

I'd contact someone at the society as well as they might be able to help. As for other Hobo Nickels I know I saw one or two posted on Find Mall years ago. I'd search the archives here to as people here find 100x more than most other MD sites.

Original Hobo Nickel Society. Thx Erik In NJ

WOW ! So many Designs , Something else I would love to Collect.
Davers
 
Yes it has the Buffalo on the back and here's a better pic
 

Attachments

  • 1438271496401.webp
    1438271496401.webp
    83.1 KB · Views: 141
Original Hobo Nickel Society. Thx Erik In NJ

WOW ! So many Designs , Something else I would love to Collect.
Davers

That site is an excellent resource, but although I have been on that site before qaela4 deserves the credit for posting the link here first :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Yes it has the Buffalo on the back and here's a better pic

Thanks for the Quick answer. Again Awesome Finds.

That site is an excellent resource, but although I have been on that site before quela4 deserves the credit for posting the link here first :thumbsup:

Well I first thank quela4 then you.
Good day
Davers
 
Wow ! With the better pic , I'm more convinced that you have a "first generation " Hobo Nickel (made between the Wars !)
And I agree with Erik in NJ you should contact the Original Hobo Nickel Society ! They may well be able to attribute it to
a known artist - because all the classic details are there - with the beard , the bowler , even the ribbon on the bowler -
This is my favorite find on T-net in a long time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome .
 
Last edited:
I'm going to try and contact them tomorrow
 
Adding HOBO Nickel to my Bucket List, AWSOME FIND DEFINITLY HAS COOL FACTOR
 
Is it just me or is that a familiar face on that nickel.....meaning there are other hobos that look similar
 
I had never heard of a hobo nickel until now! Awesome find!
 
Been awhile since a hobo nickel appeared on Today's Finds radar .
What's not to luv about a coin that is harder to find than a gold dollar .
:hello2:Congrats!

CMD
 
What a unique find as it's something one reads about and wonder if there has been a recovery before and how many. It's one of those questions that one wonders about as the hobby was going for 35 yrs before the internet even got off the ground, so has anybody recall one being dug up before?
 
im leaning towards a newer hobo enthusiast being the artist,but still an incredible find coming from the ocean and all,could we get a back shot

Sure looks vintage to me--take a look at the known carvers link I posted! Plymouthian, please keep us posted on what you hear from the Society.
 
Ok I will erik
 
Slow we've here's the back
 

Attachments

  • 1438375704955.webp
    1438375704955.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 111
nice find!

I've always wondered if members here spell it "nickle" as part of forum atmosphere, like some do "injun" for Indian head cents
 
pepperj , I too have wondered whether any of our members here have actually dug a "Hobo" nickel , I've put the question to the search
box - and nothing comes up (until this current one )- a couple of people responding on this thread have mentioned seeing one or
more having been posted, but I haven't been able to track down those posts - yet . There was a "Hobo" nickel located among some
old coins handed down to a lady from her Grandparents I think . If anybody can link to some earlier dug "Hobos" please put them
up here !

( I have looked at many images showing the "Original ", or First Generation Hobo Nickels - I think this
one conforms to the style of these earlier ones - than it does to the later carvers styles.)
 
Last edited:
I'd like to see others that were found also
 
That was found in the Water? Wow, it looks great! I wonder the age of it...ive always wanted a Hobo nickel, but dont feel like dropping 60-90+ on one

great finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom