What's new

Amazing little silver spoon

OneWetKnee

Full Member
Joined
May 26, 2013
Messages
157
Reaction score
220
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last dig of the year yielded this little silver spoon. The craftsmanship is beautiful however there is no makers mark. I'm sure Marjorie was sad when she lost it. ??? Has anyone seen one like this? or know what year it would be from?

IMG_1731.webpIMG_1727.webpIMG_1729.webpIMG_1732.webp

IMG_1743.webpIMG_1744.webpIMG_1745.webpIMG_1746.webp

IMG_1786.webpIMG_1785.webpIMG_1783.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 78
Great find. Love the engraving.
 
Nice spoon. Are you going to look up the family that owned the property and try to get it back to them?
 
Thank you JerV3, Its definitely on my own personal "Banner" list lol.

Honestly, to me, this is much more a banner find than some I've seen up there simply because it's made out of gold. I also think this would look VERY nice up top.
Got my vote.
 
Nice spoon. Are you going to look up the family that owned the property and try to get it back to them?

I have started looking up birth records for the time and area and I have found 2 Marjorie's born 1897 and 1888. 3 out of the original 5 families in this area are still living there but I have not found one with the same surnames. I have confirmed it is not from our family, I still have to reach out to the Vale and Hutchison families. It would warm my heart to put this spoon in the hands of the great great grandchildren of "Marjorie"
 
That's a really nice one. The design is fantastic.
Congrats on a great and unique find.
 
What a great find. Sweet little Marjorie was much loved. I wonder if there'd be any way to track down if she is still alive perhaps, or maybe a daughter of hers...
 
What a great find. Sweet little Marjorie was much loved. I wonder if there'd be any way to track down if she is still alive perhaps, or maybe a daughter of hers...

I have been looking at the land owners from Beamsley Perkins Glasier who sold it to General John Coffin in 1790 it was the site of his home with his 11 children and they had 6000 acres. It went to my family in 1839 and to two other families in 1860s I believe. This is where the research becomes very difficult. I'm jumping on the first Marjorie I find lol.
 
Great find...got my vote too.....
 
Honestly, to me, this is much more a banner find than some I've seen up there simply because it's made out of gold. I also think this would look VERY nice up top.
Got my vote.

Great find...got my vote too.....

Thank you guys! I would love to see Baby Marjorie's spoon up there :)
 
Gorgeous spoon, man. What a way to cap off the season.

You got my vote.
 
Congratualtions on the beautiful silver spoon! :occasion14:
 
That is a wild looking spoon with the loop hand.nice find
 
Beautiful piece. Amazing how well that handle held up for so many winters. The craftsmanship is very fine! Congrats to you!
 
Beautiful recovery, congratulations
 
Beautiful piece. Amazing how well that handle held up for so many winters. The craftsmanship is very fine! Congrats to you!

Thank you Tn! I thought it was delicate when It first fell out of the bank, but it really is a sturdy little spoon. It came from the edge of the bottle pit I have been excavating this year. maybe 18 inches behind and below this 1880s bottle.

IMG_1686.webpIMG_1687.webp

I imagine it spent some time in a Jar , and is most likely how it came to be in the dump. The surrounding dirt had several broken jars like this one i found whole.

IMG_1682.webp
 
It is very beautiful, I found a beauty spoon couple summers back, mine used to be Dorothy's it has a 1910 date on the handle, reminds me of yours (a little similar) Maybe it could help date it for you. I could post a pic if you wanted? Did you use a loop and really go over your spoon to look for a mark? It kindof amazes me that as fine the craftsmanship of your spoon that there is no mark? Not even "Sterling"? Maybe if there are no marks at all it might mean it is super old? I'm no expert, just thinking out loud and throwing out some ideas to help ID or date your spoon.
 
It is very beautiful, I found a beauty spoon couple summers back, mine used to be Dorothy's it has a 1910 date on the handle, reminds me of yours (a little similar) Maybe it could help date it for you. I could post a pic if you wanted? Did you use a loop and really go over your spoon to look for a mark? It kindof amazes me that as fine the craftsmanship of your spoon that there is no mark? Not even "Sterling"? Maybe if there are no marks at all it might mean it is super old? I'm no expert, just thinking out loud and throwing out some ideas to help ID or date your spoon.

I have not used a loop, I have looked closely though. I rinsed it with soap and water but did not even use a cloth so inside is still pretty dirty. Do you think it's possible the mark is inside edge of the handle?
I would love to see your spoon! Post it up!
 
Has the same design as Little Tommy Tucker Spoon Manchester c1900
$_1[1].webpimagesV6RB013P.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom