What's new

Amos type points ?

redbeardrelics

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
894
Reaction score
1,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my meager personal finds assemblage of what I consider to be Amos variety points, which are up there high on my current wish to find list. From what I have read about them, and in talking with other local collectors at artifact shows, there is some disagreement and confusion between most of the early archaic notched types from the mid Atlantic region (Palmer, Hardaway, Amos, Charleston, Dovetails, Kirk stemmed and Kirk corner notched). What I believe classifies these as Amos would be rather heavily ground bases, prominent barbs (unfortunately missing on some of these), and having a slightly flared stem appearance instead of a wider base, corner notched look. Anybody else have any points that you think might bean Amos? I would love to see them, or hear any thoughts or info. on the variety. HH

Amos2.webpAmos4.webp
 
Upvote 0
Ohhh, and the fourth Amos identifying characteristic IMO, is the presence of small serrated edgework.
 
Wow- cool points there! I have yet to find anything that looks like those do. I hope one of the 'pros' here pipes in w/ comments on your questions! HH! Yak
 
I have a handful of Amos points and a bucket full of broken ones. Attached are a couple of photo's. They're from WV. One thing that's odd, to me, about finding them is that there are Amos sites and then there are sites that don't have Amos's and the Amos sites are generally associated with water and then totally absent from upland sites.

Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0397.webp
    IMG_0397.webp
    932.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0398.webp
    IMG_0398.webp
    950 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0396.webp
    IMG_0396.webp
    809.1 KB · Views: 119
I have a handful of Amos points and a bucket full of broken ones. Attached are a couple of photo's. They're from WV. One thing that's odd, to me, about finding them is that there are Amos sites and then there are sites that don't have Amos's and the Amos sites are generally associated with water and then totally absent from upland sites.

Thanks for looking.

Hey Twitch, thanks for the photos and info. Those are some really nice Amos points you have there, and the other points around them are eye candy to me as well. I appreciate the info on the Amos points at water related sites. I had not heard that before, but now that you have mentioned it, I can confirm that the few that I have are each from sites adjacent to water sources. All five of mine have come from different sites, so I was wondering if they usually occur as isolated finds, or if there are some sites that produce multiple examples. Thanks again for your photos and info.
 
:icon_thumright: Those points are an interesting type with the serrations. I don't believe there are too many points are found in Montana that have serrations.
 
Those are very pretty...something looked familiar about them, so I had to pull up my one & only broken point that's got larger "serrated" edges...but it's made of obsidian, so I guess not an Amos....just reminded me of your unique points. Thanks for sharing & teaching on the awesome "Amos". :thumbsup:
RSCN4204.webp
 
Hey Twitch, thanks for the photos and info. Those are some really nice Amos points you have there, and the other points around them are eye candy to me as well. I appreciate the info on the Amos points at water related sites. I had not heard that before, but now that you have mentioned it, I can confirm that the few that I have are each from sites adjacent to water sources. All five of mine have come from different sites, so I was wondering if they usually occur as isolated finds, or if there are some sites that produce multiple examples. Thanks again for your photos and info.

Redbeard - on 'Amos sites' it's not uncommon to find a couple of them at a time. Certainly not just an isolated find. I've heard 3rd hand stories of Amos caches but it's not something I've ever personally seen. My buddy who finds a lot of them thinks they're associated with fishing somehow. I have no idea if that's right.
 
Yes those are very nice boss !!!
 
Those are very pretty...something looked familiar about them, so I had to pull up my one & only broken point that's got larger "serrated" edges...but it's made of obsidian, so I guess not an Amos....just reminded me of your unique points. Thanks for sharing & teaching on the awesome "Amos". :thumbsup:
View attachment 1010180

looks a bit like the huffaker type we find once in a while
 
Sorry for butting in on your post redbeardrelics.....just wanted to ask Larson "what's a huffaker" & maybe you could make a post of yours?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom