Witness014

Greenie
Aug 19, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I haven't posted much at all around here since I joined, but now that I've moved back home and I'm settled in, I'll be chiming in whenever I get some good finds, like I did today. :thumbsup:

The bank I used to frequent before my move to Austin was my first stop to get some cash for a birthday coin store shopping trip; I had to get my bank card updated, too, since they had cancelled my old one. When I talked to the teller for the cash, I asked her, as I always do, if she had any old bills or coins. She said she did not, just some half dollars, and even showed me the small stack she had to prove it wasn't much. It was only for a split second, but I knew I saw the Liberty Bell in that stack of coins she flashed me, so I had her pull them out. Sure enough, two Franklins were there for the taking, a '57 D and a '62 D. Talking to the manager, he was stunned to see the coins; he had been working there for three years and never saw a customer walk out with silver. Then again, he also said that, when he had been a teller, he would buy stuff out of his own till, so no big shocker no one else was getting anything. Still, I'm satisfied with my first bank trip since moving back! Beginner's luck, or a sign of things to come? :laughing7:

IMG_0432.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Witness014

Greenie
Aug 19, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's hoping not, heh. Even still, there's a lot of other banks in the area so, hopefully, I'll get this kind of luck again.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a bank allows tellers to purchase from their own drawer...........you'll get very little or nothing at all.
Better to find a bank that doesn't allow that type of employee activity............one bank I deal with won't even allow tellers to accept a foreign coin as a gift from a customer. My best finds are from that bank..................

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always take them all! They will like you better if you do. You'll also tip them off to the silver if you don't..

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's exciting to find, definitely, so congrats on that.

But like enamel said, you should buy them all. By picking out those Franklins, she learned about them, and another teller pointed out their intrinsic value and their rarity. If you had bought them all, that likely wouldn't have happened.

I know you don't go to the branch much, but keep that thought in your mind as you continue with the hobby. Don't cherrypick in front of tellers and don't educate anyone that already doesn't know. Just be "the nice guy that buys all those coins that take up space in the vault" and take the ones you don't want elsewhere.

OP
OP
W

Witness014

Greenie
Aug 19, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent tips everyone, thank you! Before now, I had mostly confined myself to doing penny and nickel boxes, occasionally cherrypicking Series 1976 $2 bills for their age. I always make a point to ask, but I never actually thought I would find anything. Now that I have, though, and armed with this knowledge, I'll be sure to go in armed for bear. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions