HEADPHONE WEAR

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else had a similar problem with the wireless headphone cushion? I use no hair product and rarely use sunscreen. Both left and right have the same peeling of the outer surface. If so, what solution to the problem?
20240518_220715.jpg
20240518_220739.jpg

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that reply. So, I'm guessing that anyone in the warmer climes who has had a Legend for a while might have a similar issue. That foam pad must soak up a lot of sweat once it is exposed. I'll have to look into replacing the pads. Or do without, but the headphones are great for those of us who normally wear hearing aids and eliminates the wind and surf noises.

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good old naugahyde (vinyl) that stuff is synonymous for this.
The only thing I could suggest Sandog is contacting wedigmetaldectors and see if Andy might be able to get replacement cushions for them or maybe a whole replacement headset all together as if I'm not mistaken those cushions are glued on.
If your detector is under warranty they might get you a whole new set.
This is not just limited to the Nokta wireless I've had it happen to other headphones if you get another set I would suggest that if you sweat a lot while out detecting use a damp paper towel with normal water on it and clean them off after you use them.
And to prolong the life of the naugahyde and keep it from deteriorating you might use a light bit of son of a gun on them as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for those tips Bucketfreak. I'll probably pop in at Treasure Coast Metal Detectors where I got my propak and see what Gary can do for me.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone else had a similar problem with the wireless headphone cushion? I use no hair product and rarely use sunscreen. Both left and right have the same peeling of the outer surface. If so, what solution to the problem? View attachment 2149956 View attachment 2149957
I am getting the same thing, on the right side only though. I chalked it up to normal wear.

In the high temperatures I sweat like a banshee. I actually tried a couple of versions of the ear buds (Thanks Richard Guy) but could never get the performance and fit to match what the headphones were giving me. So now I just sweat in them and will replace when it gets too bad. My estimate is 250-300 hunts, so I'm not too mad about it.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting the same thing, on the right side only though. I chalked it up to normal wear.

In the high temperatures I sweat like a banshee. I actually tried a couple of versions of the ear buds (Thanks Richard Guy) but could never get the performance and fit to match what the headphones were giving me. So now I just sweat in them and will replace when it gets too bad. My estimate is 250-300 hunts, so I'm not too mad about it.
Thanks Hunk. If, and when, you find a replacement source please pass it along. I'll do the same.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I spend some time in a recording studio and if I forget to bring my Behringer headphones, (which are starting to do this on the right side as well...) I get to use a "house" pair/set. The house gear has seen better days and other than ending up with little pieces of black plastic stuck to the side of the face, they still work great. I assume that's what I'd do with those since it looks to just be the outer layer and shouldn't have any effect on performance.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for reminding me of this potential problem. I'm going to get mine now and do a light wipe then put some death juice (Mother's VLR) on it to protect the muffs. I've used the stuff for years on other things with no problem. It smells like leather. It says Unscented but mine isn't. Now they may have reworked the formula since I bought mine but I'm sensitive to smells anyway and that may be it. Stuff works good and leaves no greasy residue.
MotVLR.jpg

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reminding me of this potential problem. I'm going to get mine now and do a light wipe then put some death juice (Mother's VLR) on it to protect the muffs. I've used the stuff for years on other things with no problem. It smells like leather. It says Unscented but mine isn't. Now they may have reworked the formula since I bought mine but I'm sensitive to smells anyway and that may be it. Stuff works good and leaves no greasy residue.
View attachment 2152130
There's another great tip. Thanks Rob.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread