An ax or something else ?

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
I'm rather clueless to what these are it seems like it's an ax, but I'm not sure because I found so many is such a small area. I found these in a small gravel bar that's about 15' x 30', I found both copper and stone in the area. The first two are about 3" long x 2" wide, the next two are around 3 1/2" long x 2 1/2" wide. The funny thing is that the bigger ones have a shallower notch and have a chip on the back side where it's notched on then thinner side of the rock. I have found another little one that's around 3x2" and a lager ax that was notched all the way around about a half mile form where I found these, but I can't see an ax being such a common thing that I found 6 so far. Anyone have an idea of if these are just an ax or if it's something else ?

Attachments

• DSC07794.JPG
    DSC07794.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC07795.JPG
    DSC07795.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC07797.JPG
    DSC07797.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC07796.JPG
    DSC07796.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a celt but could have been a hoe or something. Nice regardless of what it is...d2

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Yep they were found by water, maybe 100 yards off a river bank. The area had been dug before by some people that did a very sloppy job and left a lot of stuff behind cause they had no idea, so I'm trying to save whats left before they hit it again. I'm thinking it was a work area, so far found in the area was a large number of a deep red quartzite flake, copper knife and a knife blank, conical copper point, and a good amount of unworked copper, also found some type of quartzite point there too.

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Johnny Bravo said:
Yep they were found by water, maybe 100 yards off a river bank. The area had been dug before by some people that did a very sloppy job and left a lot of stuff behind cause they had no idea, so I'm trying to save whats left before they hit it again. I'm thinking it was a work area, so far found in the area was a large number of a deep red quartzite flake, copper knife and a knife blank, conical copper point, and a good amount of unworked copper, also found some type of quartzite point there too.
They must not really know what they are doing or maybe a couple of net weights aren't interesting enough for them to keep. I disagree with them whole heartedly if that's the case. Nice artifacts, keep going back to pick up their "junk".

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the Net Weights, and if thats those folks "trash" they need to leave that are alone all for you! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Thanks for all the replies. Wow net weights that's pretty cool I would have never thought that. Looks like my chances of finding a copper fish hook just went way down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions