An elusive flying eagle cent

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched around the stone foundation of a long gone barn from around the 1850s. Only found a small buckle, a couple unidentified objects, and a 1919 wheat penny. Someone left an old axe head on the foundation, so I took it to hang in my shed. The back edge is mashed, maybe from hitting a splitting wedge. On the way out, I hit a small stone wall enclosed pine grove. After less than a minute, I got a midtone with a VDI of 14. I dug it out of desperation, thinking it was probably just a shotgun shell. I was surprised to see a coin, as I have never dug one with that VDI. Once I got home, I saw it was a flying eagle cent. In four years of detecting, I have never found one of these. For those not familiar with the coin, the US only minted them for circulation in 1857 and 1858, so it can be a tough coin to find. This one is 1858, I believe. Not in great shape, but I was glad to find it. Dug an old spoon bowl after that, then headed home. Happy hunting.
86631342-F41B-48B8-9B21-3F34A814668A.jpeg
B9D29B10-A0D8-42DE-827E-C7E9DC975846.jpeg
74CB1E56-C85E-4DAC-9634-E9FA328483DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 30

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched around the stone foundation of a long gone barn from around the 1850s. Only found a small buckle, a couple unidentified objects, and a 1919 wheat penny. Someone left an old axe head on the foundation, so I took it to hang in my shed. The back edge is mashed, maybe from hitting a splitting wedge. On the way out, I hit a small stone wall enclosed pine grove. After less than a minute, I got a midtone with a VDI of 14. I dug it out of desperation, thinking it was probably just a shotgun shell. I was surprised to see a coin, as I have never dug one with that VDI. Once I got home, I saw it was a flying eagle cent. In four years of detecting, I have never found one of these. For those not familiar with the coin, the US only minted them for circulation in 1857 and 1858, so it can be a tough coin to find. This one is 1858, I believe. Not in great shape, but I was glad to find it. Dug an old spoon bowl after that, then headed home. Happy hunting. View attachment 2050681 View attachment 2050683 View attachment 2050682
Congrats on the flying eagle! That’s a bucket-lister!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched around the stone foundation of a long gone barn from around the 1850s. Only found a small buckle, a couple unidentified objects, and a 1919 wheat penny. Someone left an old axe head on the foundation, so I took it to hang in my shed. The back edge is mashed, maybe from hitting a splitting wedge. On the way out, I hit a small stone wall enclosed pine grove. After less than a minute, I got a midtone with a VDI of 14. I dug it out of desperation, thinking it was probably just a shotgun shell. I was surprised to see a coin, as I have never dug one with that VDI. Once I got home, I saw it was a flying eagle cent. In four years of detecting, I have never found one of these. For those not familiar with the coin, the US only minted them for circulation in 1857 and 1858, so it can be a tough coin to find. This one is 1858, I believe. Not in great shape, but I was glad to find it. Dug an old spoon bowl after that, then headed home. Happy hunting. View attachment 2050681 View attachment 2050683 View attachment 2050682
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the flyin eagles, nice dig

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Flying Eagle. You did well to find one after only 4 years of detecting. I've been detecting for 30 years, and have only found one, and it was about 6 years ago. That is a tough coin to find.

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Flying Eagle. You did well to find one after only 4 years of detecting. I've been detecting for 30 years, and have only found one, and it was about 6 years ago. That is a tough coin to find.
I know how you feel! 30 yrs of detecting & 1 Flying Eagle! Good luck on number 2!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I know they were minted for just a couple years, but they made millions of them, so you would think we would find them a little more often. Hope neither of us have to wait another 4 - 20 years for a second one.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Flying Eagle!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread