walcottplate.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,161
OP
OP
ohio

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Thirty, Yes it is incredible. The 'black bar" looking critters are cephalopods in case you wondered. Yes the guy paid for this piece but, still got a good deal considering all the labor and rarity of the item.

Chuck

Solius Symbiosus

Aug 4, 2009
Nice! The photo is small, but it appears to be a mortality plate; those don't look like molts. If so, I hope that a paleoecologist is working the outcrop.

I have been working an outcrop in Central Kentucky(10cm bed) of muddy carbonates that is, almost entirely, composed of I. gigas and orthocerids. Most are molts(~90%), but too some nice ones. I have an enrolled I. gigas juvenile that had a bite taken out of the cephalon. By an orthocerid, I presume.

OP
OP
ohio

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
SS, this site has been studied extensively..........by Charles D. Walcott and Co. to name just a few. Post some pics of your gigas! We would love to see it.

Thanks for the comments man.

Chuck

P

pickaway

Man i guess killer find, what does something like that sell for?

Solius Symbiosus

Aug 4, 2009
ohio said:
SS, this site has been studied extensively..........by Charles D. Walcott and Co. to name just a few. Post some pics of your gigas! We would love to see it.

Thanks for the comments man.

Chuck
I'm familiar with Walcott's work in the Utica Fm., but that appears to be a carbonate. Is it from the Kings Falls or Lowville Fm?

I have a few pics of some I. gigas on my blog, and I think included is the juvenile.

http://soliussymbiosus.wordpress.com/

Solius Symbiosus

Aug 4, 2009
pickaway said:

While most serious students frown on selling fossils, since it has 3 different species-including a 20cm I. gigas- I would assume, a bunch of cash!

Exnihilo

Jan 15, 2009
Am I wrong or did you find some belemnites too? It's a shame, the picture is not enough large :'( But it's very a nice find. :icon_farao:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solius Symbiosus said:
pickaway said:

While most serious students frown on selling fossils, since it has 3 different species-including a 20cm I. gigas- I would assume, a bunch of cash!

I live for being frowned upon.

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
ohio said:
Three friends and I found this piece in NY as we were using an excavator to prepare a site. The largest Isotelus is 8 inches. It also has Ceraurus, Flexicalymene scenaria, and two other species present. Sadly it was sold to a lucky, and well to do, collector. I shall never forget this one.

Chuck
just curious . what did that sell for ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread