An Old Trappers Shaving Mirror.

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
This piece of glass was found by the front door of an old cabin covered in moss mixed with some rusted pieces of metal. I had a metal detector and was running it around the foundation when the detector buzzed on the metal it was with. The cabin was old, one room about 12' by 12' no roof and low side walls.
This took place over twenty years ago around the Glide, Oregon area up little River on a tributary called Black Creek. When I picked the mirror up it still had some of the mirroring on it about the size of a quarter but, it rubbed off.
Notice how someone has hand chipped the edges of the glass, they did a fine job it feels smooth when you rub it. This is the only one I have ever seen like it.
It measures 5 1/2" by 3 1/2" oval.

Attachments

• Hand chipped oval shaving mirror.JPG
    Hand chipped oval shaving mirror.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 364
OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
TreasureTales said:
How absolutely cool! I love all the lore and history of the trappers and the mountain men. Finding an intact mirror from a trapper's cabin is phenomenal. Congratulations! I'd love to see photos of the cabin, if you have any.

I looked through all the old pictures and can not find any, I thought I had one?
The Old Cabin would be hard to find now, it probably would just be a mound in the forest covered with moss. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions