• DSCF4225.JPG
    DSCF4225.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 448

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
does look like a hanger, but I believe it is a kind of belt buckle. Or a buckle from something. The posts are offset , or leaning so they can go into two holes. I could be wrong though. I thought I saw one of those on here recently. Nice find!

Upvote 0

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
thinking a hanger too. old homes use to have picture hanging molding on the walls. this might be the hanger. imhp! a big guess on my part. thanks for taking the time. cool! ben

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
It may be a hanger for poster board. Just the way you are holding it would be the bottom and the top bracket would be in reverse.

Just a guess.

Tony

Upvote 0

CodyCat Borat

Jan 15, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra-50, Whites classic 2
Montana Jim said:
Tuning forks are aluminum... I use them to tune radar guns

This piece is iron?

A tuning fork is a simple metal two-pronged fork with the tines formed from a U-shaped bar of elastic material (usually steel). A tuning fork resonates at a specific constant pitch when set vibrating by striking it against a surface or with an object, and after waiting a moment to allow some high overtones to die out. The pitch that a particular tuning fork generates depends on the length of the two prongs, with two nodes near the bend of the U.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuning_fork

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
CodyCat Borat said:
Montana Jim said:

This piece is iron?

A tuning fork is a simple metal two-pronged fork with the tines formed from a U-shaped bar of elastic material (usually steel). A tuning fork resonates at a specific constant pitch when set vibrating by striking it against a surface or with an object, and after waiting a moment to allow some high overtones to die out. The pitch that a particular tuning fork generates depends on the length of the two prongs, with two nodes near the bend of the U.

Your are correct Cody, sorry, some are made from a high quality Sheffield Steel, but - alas - some are made of aluminum: http://shopping.msn.com/results.aspx?text=aluminum&scId=4

wikipedia is suspect for reasearch - always back up your "wiki-data".

Unfortunately, despite it's composition, do they not always open away from the handle (sic)? Hence the term "fork"? I've never seen one open backwards.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a small type of salvage hook --- maybe for getting a crab trap up or something like that----tie line in the hole --- throw it out----then drag back---and see what you snagged---just a guess--- this explains both the "hole in the shank" and the "barbed" ends--Ivan

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CodyCat Borat said:
Montana Jim said:

This piece is iron?

You'll never see a tuning fork with right-angle bends . . . regardless of the time frame. It would be like trying to tune a guitar string with a kink in it.

I'd say hanger of some type.

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
[You'll never see a tuning fork with right-angle bends . . . regardless of the time frame. It would be like trying to tune a guitar string with a kink in it.

I'd say hanger of some type.
[/quote]

I agree with that.....I don't see how it could really work as a tuning fork.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions