697.2 KB · Views: 71
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 12

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Could also be where they attached a handle or leg. They did make some with finger nails impressed along the rims. I can’t disagree with you cause I’m sure they made mistakes just like anyone.

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this would be interesting to share. I have a few late 19th century stoneware bottles that do show fingerprints. They are normally near the base or at where the handle is attached and the clay s smoothed by hand. This example does not have it, but gives an idea of what I am talking about.

antique-selters-stoneware-mineral-water-bottle-6815

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely could be, considering that would be the inside of the pot, I don’t see any reason it would be a decorative choice. I don’t know how you would prove without a doubt if you were making a professional claim, but for a personal collection I’d go with it. A unique connection to an individual that lived thousands of years ago.

OP
OP
S

sc arrow

May 10, 2023
south carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely could be, considering that would be the inside of the pot, I don’t see any reason it would be a decorative choice. I don’t know how you would prove without a doubt if you were making a professional claim, but for a personal collection I’d go with it. A unique connection to an individual that lived thousands of years ago.
I guess one could look under a microscope and see if there are any lines or ridges front a fingerprint. I took it as an impression and the curved line (bottom edge) looks like where a fingernail went in. Maybe but I will take it. No museum piece here.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'd see tons of potsherds on plains village farmer sites in Oklahoma, and my buddy found one piece that actually had a clearly discernible fingerprint on it. Wish I'd got a pic of that.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
necklace piece maybe?
something for trade items?
Yeah, maybe a bead. It’s raised on one side, giving it the form of a spindle whorl, which are often ceramic, with a similar appearance in many cultures, don’t know enough about them, though. But treasure the fingerprints, whatever it is!

IMG_2024.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread