Ancient

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 21a.jpg
    21a.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 21b.jpg
    21b.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 507

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
That is a provincial issue. You will not find that coin on DOC because that site deals only with imperial issues; however, you may be able to try http://www.wildwinds.com/. Not sure on the attribution on it. Will see what I can dig up later.

Gunner

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Looks like it is from Serdica. I found a similar reverse for Elagabalus; however, I believe that is an empress on the obverse of your coin.

What is the diameter of your coin? 28mm? 30mm?

Gunner

Elagabalus AE30 of Serdica, Thrace. AVT K M AVP ANTWNINOC, laureate, horned, cuirassed bust right / OVLPIAC CEPDIKHC, Zeus standing left holding thunderbolt & scepter.

Attachments

• _serdica_AE30_Moushmov_4950.jpg
    _serdica_AE30_Moushmov_4950.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 22 mm across at the widest point. I agree about the empress. It sure looks like a female bust to me with the hair done up in a bun.
Scott

Upvote 0
J

JDSCOIN

Hello Gunner,

I read your posts regarding ancient coins with great interest. You generally show a very good knowledge of ancient coins. I am particularly impressed with what you know about provincial coins. Those can be more difficult for some because of the use of Greek language on them whereas the Imperial issues use Latin; which of course, is the basis for the letters of the English language.

I usually do not try to spend my time with replies to these provincial issues because I enjoy reading what you have to say about them (and it would take up more of my time and energy than I'd like to invest in replies). I see you as a great asset to TN. I wish that there were more people here who are as expert as you on several of the subjects that come up in TN forums.

Anyhow, I thought that you should know that I've enjoyed reading what you have had to say about these coins. Keep up the good work! And thanks for taking the time and interest to do what you do. Regards,

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
JDSCOIN said:
Hello Gunner,

I read your posts regarding ancient coins with great interest. You generally show a very good knowledge of ancient coins. I am particularly impressed with what you know about provincial coins. Those can be more difficult for some because of the use of Greek language on them whereas the Imperial issues use Latin; which of course, is the basis for the letters of the English language.

I usually do not try to spend my time with replies to these provincial issues because I enjoy reading what you have to say about them (and it would take up more of my time and energy than I'd like to invest in replies). I see you as a great asset to TN. I wish that there were more people here who are as expert as you on several of the subjects that come up in TN forums.

Anyhow, I thought that you should know that I've enjoyed reading what you have had to say about these coins. Keep up the good work! And thanks for taking the time and interest to do what you do. Regards,

JDSCOIN

Thank you so much for that compliment!! I really enjoy attributing ancients and handling them as well. When I first came to this site, I noticed that there were several cool ancient finds that were going unattributed..so I decided to try to help. One thing about this site is there are several folks who frequent here living and detecting in ex-Roman territories. Dugupfinds found a rare late roman Miliarense/1.5 Siliqua a while back. It is these awesome finds that make this site that much more enjoyable to me (In addition to the very cool people on here).

This coin came in the mail today...I am a hopeless addict when it comes to these things! =

Thank you!

Gunner

Attachments

• athensrainbow.jpg
    athensrainbow.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
J

JDSCOIN

Gunner, you are welcome.

That is a very nice "Athens Owl" tetradrachm. Interesting toning. But Athens Owls are pretty coins anyway.

Take care and thanks for the reply.

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions