Angry at Sloppy MDers!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday after some research I headed out to a very old campsite within sight of a Historical Marker. Once at the campsite, I headed off to a wooded area where I thought perhaps could have been a route that bandits could have taken a century or so ago.
I was excited to begin my search, however, as I started to look around, I found Hole after Hole that was dug, left un-filled with the trash that was uncovered left beside the open hole.
I was absolutely furious! I looked around to see if I could see any one swinging a detector to no avail.
Back to the car I went to grab my trash sack and went to every hole picking up the trash and covering the holes one after one.
If you are going to dig, FOLLOW THE ETHICS AND REMOVE THE TRASH AND COVER YOUR DIG! It should look like you were never there when you leave! If you MD this way and are reading this post, stop MDing until you can follow the ethics put forth. It's very simple. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T! [emoji36]
Ok, I'm done with my rant for now.

Upvote 0

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

txhawkeye2534

Jan 30, 2015
Harker Heights Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -White's MXT
White's DFX300 - White's Spectra 3i
White's Coin Master-Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To clear it up we all know what we should be doing. Also you ( Can't Change Stupid ) !!!

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stopped digging plugs in grass. I use a digging knife plunge it straight down past the depth indicated. I then make a small void by prying the knife both way against the flat blade enough to get my pin pointer down the slit. I then use a long screwdriver to loosen the soil in the slit. I dig sideways to the target in the slit gain the target. Now I pack the dirt back in the slit. Finally I push both sides of the slit back into position. I have dug down 8 inches in a small slit. You can not tell after pushed back in place an roots are 90% intact..

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have stopped digging plugs in grass. I use a digging knife plunge it straight down past the depth indicated. I then make a small void by prying the knife both way against the flat blade enough to get my pin pointer down the slit. I then use a long screwdriver to loosen the soil in the slit. I dig sideways to the target in the slit gain the target. Now I pack the dirt back in the slit. Finally I push both sides of the slit back into position. I have dug down 8 inches in a small slit. You can not tell after pushed back in place an roots are 90% intact..

Hmmm. Can't see that it's much different than cutting a v-flap. My favorite digs are the ones I can toss my knife (I use a heavy steel steak knife that flexes, but doesn't bend) into the ground, catch the edge of the coin, and flip it up out of the same flat hole. About like you're doing, but with any luck, doesn't require any remodeling after the fact! Sometimes the coins just slip out on the blade. I LOVE IT when that happens. It's very cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread