What's new

Animal claw? No. Its a ground hog tooth!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
4,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Animal claw? No. It's a ground hog tooth!

At first I thought this was celluloid/plastic but it intrigued me enough to bring it home to look at closer. Then I thought it could be a tooth but when I saw the other recent post here about the possible tooth/claw I decided a claw was more likely.

But maybe it isn't...? Or any thoughts on the type of beast it might have belonged to?

Found on the front yard of a late 18th/early 19th C rural home.

about 1.25" long

29ffj2s.jpg


sfcuo4.jpg
 
Re: Animal claw?

It looks extremly simmilar to a dog's claw but longer, maby a dog pasted away and after the flesh decayed, the claw was exposed even parts from inside of the paw :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Animal claw?

Thats a ground hog tooth :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Animal claw?

:laughing7: Excellent! I had no idea they had teeth like that.

Thank you :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Animal claw? No. It's a ground hog tooth!

Muskrat tooth.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Animal claw? No. It's a ground hog tooth!

I'll see your muskrat and porkypine tooth and raise you a small beaver tooth.
 

Attachments

  • beaver tooth.webp
    beaver tooth.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,078
Upvote 0
Re: Animal claw? No. It's a ground hog tooth!

silverswede said:
I'll see your muskrat and porkypine tooth and raise you a small beaver tooth.
Ill see your muskrat, porcupine and beaver incisors and raise you a nutria?
http://www.organicjewelry.com/hornandbone.html
PorcupineIncisors.webp

Maybe which animal is more likely to be found in New York will help. :dontknow: :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Animal claw? No. It's a ground hog tooth!

I think the ground hog is still the best bet - I emailed the pictures to my Mom (this was found at my parents' house) and her response:

I see groundhogs often on the front lawn. One has even made a huge burrow in the day lily garden beside the driveway. Their population seems to increase as the coyote population seems to lessen.

We do have beaver and muskrat but any water is far enough away to make them much less likely. We also have porcupine though they are not often seen. Just saw one dead in the road though. :( I've never heard of a nutria being around this area.

Good discussion though :icon_thumleft: Thanks!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom