Annual Message to the Legislature (Continued)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STATE GUARD

You authorized and instructed me at your last session to raise four companies of mounted men, which, joined to the six companies already in State service, were to form two battalions of State troops, whose duty was plainly prescribed. I raised, armed and equipped the companies, organized the battalions, and placed them at once in the field. At that time the enemy had arrived at Natchitoches, in their advance up Red River valley. I ordered the battalions, commanded by Lieutenant Colonels H. M. Favrot and Ben. W. Clark, to report to General Taylor instanter. Promptly obeying, they shared in the hard fought battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, and acquitted themselves gallantly as good and efficient troops. Although State forces, I kept them in C. S. service, doing constant and heavy duty in Lower Louisiana until the 26th day of July last, when they were regularly mustered into the C. S. Army, and turned over to the General commanding this Department. The two battalions have since been consolidated, and now form the eighth regiment of Louisiana Cavalry, numbering eight hundred officers and men. Composed of excellent material, I doubt not that this corps will prove very useful to the Department, and much more efficient by being thus transferred. As the State had no depots of corn and provisions, no forage, and inadequate transportation, it was incurring very heavy expense. I cannot speak too highly of the bravery and good conduct of the "Guard;" they have performed their duty nobly wherever assigned. For the military organizations and operations of the State troops, and all the details incident thereto, I respectfully refer you to the concise and able report of Brig. Gen. T. G. Hunt, A. & I. G.

STATE DISPENSARY

The sum of five hundred thousand dollars was appropriated by you for the purchase of medicines for the families of soldiers. To obtain enough to make the distribution contemplated by the Act was found impracticable. I therefore established a Dispensary at this place, from which every portion of the State has been supplied as far as possible. Every parish has, I believe, derived benefit from this Dispensary. To none has medicine been denied. To the poor and destitute it has been given "without money and without price." For a statement of the affairs of this establishment, I respectfully refer you to the report of Surgeon General Amzi Martin. You will see that he has furnished to citizens of the State medicines at about one-third of the market price here, to the value of $274,972; that he has distributed for charitable purposes $13,790 worth; and that the nett profits for five months amount to about $50,000, all of which has been paid into the State Treasury. Although my agents have been very active, they have succeeded, at great personal risk and labor, in keeping the Dispensary only partially supplied. I have found it exceedingly difficult to procure medicines for the people, as the enemy took a malignant pleasure in destroying all drug-stores in their march through the lower portion of the State, and by a refinement of cruelty, have declared all medicines contraband of war. Notwithstanding all these difficulties, I am happy to inform you that I have received a large supply from Mexico--amply sufficient for many months to come. Every citizen of Louisiana can now be abundantly supplied with medicines of all kinds.

IRON AND LEAD ORES

In obedience to the instructions of the General Assembly, practical men were employed to examine thoroughly all portions of the State where lead and iron ores were thought to exist. Traces only of lead ore were found in several places, but not in sufficient quantities to justify any outlay whatever for the necessary machinery to work and smelt the same. The parishes of DeSoto, Sabine, Bossier, Claiborne and Bienville have iron in large quantities. Upon subjecting specimens of ore from these parishes to the proper test, they were found to be so refractory, that it was not deemed advisable to prosecute the matter further. I thought it more prudent, too, in the unsettled condition of affairs, to establish a furnace. (which is a great undertaking,) at a more retired and secure place. I therefore sent Lieut.-Col. E. Miltenberger, A. D. C., to Texas; and, after thorough examination, purchased one-fourth of the "Sulphur Forks Iron Works," in Davis county, of that State, for fifty thousand dollars. This furnace was erected but a few months since, and is now going into successful operation. It will abundantly supply the State with all the iron needed. It is situated about ninety miles from Shreveport, and within a few miles of water transportation. I consider this purchase very fortunate. Already the stock is worth double the money stipulated. The Company owns a valuable tract of land covered with inexhaustible beds of rich iron ore. The buildings and machinery are of the most substantial kind. The "Works" are managed by a Board of five Directors, two of whom are appointed by the State of Louisiana. I refer you to the accompanying papers for full particulars respecting these valuable works.

STATE STORE

When entering upon the duties of my office, I found the currency of the State very much depreciated. Farmers, merchants, butchers, bakers, mechanics, all refused to take it. Notwithstanding it was well known that the State was amply able to redeem her circulation, still her paper was in bad repute, and its exchangeable value daily declining. Much concerned at this, I earnestly sought a remedy. After mature reflection, I determined to establish a State Store, to sell cheap goods to the public, and to take payment in our depreciated currency. This has served a double purpose. It has drawn in from circulation a large amount of State notes, thus increasing the exchangeable value of the remainder, and has supplied our fellow-citizens with articles of necessity, at prices comparatively moderate. For details of the transactions in this purchase and sale of merchandize, I respectfully refer you to the report of C. H. Ardis, Military Store-keeper. You will perceive that he has paid into the Treasury, from proceeds of sales, $425,249 61, besides giving to destitute wounded soldiers, to orphans and to widows, goods to the value of $22,159 50. In addition to this, you will see that goods to the value of $87,326 19 have been transfered to the several State departments, and that army supplies, ordnance stores, &c., to the value of $627,816 60 have been turned over to the Confederate Government, making the transactions of the State Store since its inauguration on the 30th of June last, amount to the gross sum of $1,162,551 90. These goods were imported from Mexico, and paid for in cotton, as will appear from documents annexed to the report above mentioned. All of which are submitted for your inspection. I am happy to inform you that the Treasury notes of the State are now much in demand, not only in Louisiana, but in this entire department. It is my intention, unless otherwise instructed by the General Assembly, to keep up the "State Store," to continue the importation of goods, and to sell them to the public at prices within a fraction of their cost. Many a wounded and destitute soldier has been clothed, free of charge, from this store, while the widow and the orphan have also been supplied. In dispensing these charities, I have made no distinction. Wounded and disabled soldiers from Texas, Arkansas and Missouri have all been relieved--and none have been refused.

To extend the two-fold benefits of this purchase and sale of merchandise, it is my purpose, your honorable body approving, to locate three or more branch stores, in different towns of Louisiana. The insufficient receipt of goods, the want of transportation, my unwillingness to take men from the army to act as store-keepers, and the difficulty of giving such orders for the sale of goods at a distance as would secure their just, equitable and judicious disposition, are among the reasons which have prevented me hitherto from sending them to remote sections for sale and distribution. I hope, however, to prove to the people of all portions of the State, by the potent logic of facts, that the very exorbitant prices of imported necessities are to be accounted for by the greed of traders more than by the actual cost of importation. Should I thus incur the ill-will of venal, grasping, insatiable peddlers and speculators, I shall be abundantly consoled by the approbation of all honorable and patriotic merchants

To be continued...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions