What's new

Another bullet ID

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to ID this bullet on my own but, since I am posting it here, Y'all know how that turned out! :dontknow: Anyway, I found it yesterday. I don't have a scale to weigh it and I am not sure if I measured the diameter correctly. It measures .391"s in diameter and .546"s long.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
 

Attachments

  • bullet 1.webp
    bullet 1.webp
    106.5 KB · Views: 261
  • bullet 2.webp
    bullet 2.webp
    97.6 KB · Views: 251
  • bullet 3.webp
    bullet 3.webp
    119.9 KB · Views: 264
  • bullet 4.webp
    bullet 4.webp
    77.6 KB · Views: 240
  • bullet 5.webp
    bullet 5.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 256
It looks to have 3 rings and a solid base, so I'm thinking it is a .40 C.D. Leet for a pistol, perhaps derringer. Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie,
Thanks for the info. Could you put an age on it?
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
Breezie,
Thanks for the info. Could you put an age on it?

Your bullet is circa Civil War. C.D. Leet was in business under this name for only 2 years 1864-1866. The C.D. Leet & Co. was from 1862-64. The company was then sold to Schuyler, Hartley & Graham in 1866, and they became part of the Union Metallic Cartridge Ctdg & Cap Co from 1866-1867. In August of 1867 it became Union Metallic Cartridge.

I know just enough about CW bullets to be dangerous, so hopefully one of the bullet experts will come in and either 'amen' my ID or not. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Well, Breezie, since I don't have any other ID I am going to give this a green check and add my first C.D. Leet bullet to my collection.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not familar with that bullet and couldn't find one in my book but looking at Sgt Riker's site that has a leet in the cartridge it looks like it could be a leet.
http://sgtriker.com/bullets.htm
 
Upvote 0
Here are 2 pics of just the lead:
 

Attachments

  • LeetProfile.webp
    LeetProfile.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 194
  • LeetBase.webp
    LeetBase.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I'm not familar with that bullet and couldn't find one in my book but looking at Sgt Riker's site that has a leet in the cartridge it looks like it could be a leet.
http://sgtriker.com/bullets.htm

I found the same site. I wish I had the measurement for the casing.I found one that the bullet fits but I think it is too long. Also' it's a rimfire and I don't know if the Leet was one or a centerfire.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
vayank54 said:
I'm not familar with that bullet and couldn't find one in my book but looking at Sgt Riker's site that has a leet in the cartridge it looks like it could be a leet.
http://sgtriker.com/bullets.htm

I found the same site. I wish I had the measurement for the casing.I found one that the bullet fits but I think it is too long. Also' it's a rimfire and I don't know if the Leet was one or a centerfire.

It was a rimfire, and my source gave the measurements for the lead, but not the casing.
Diameter: .400
Length: .569
Weight: 129

Breezie
PS: Thanks VaYank for the kudos. You're an excellent teacher!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks again for all the help. I looked at the bullet on SGT Riker's website and the casing I have is much longer. It's funny that we recover one-of-a-kind relics from this site, never duplicates. I think we may be finding the remains of a collection that was thrown out or lost many, many years ago.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bullet
Replies
5
Views
852
Replies
17
Views
2K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bullet id #5
Replies
2
Views
482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom