Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point it's just scrap lead, however with that line on it, there is the possibility it may have been a Sharps bullet at one time.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You find is indeed from the civil war. It is (definitely) a "severe impact" fired 3-groove Minie-bullet. When it got fired, it impacted directly into a large stone at very close range... which caused the "mushroom splatter" effect you see has happened to its shape. Look very closely at its outer edges (on one side) and you'll see the remnants of your fired Minie's 3 body-grooves.

The fact that your severe-impact fired bullet's 3 body-grooves are visible "encircling" the outer edges of the splattered bullet mean it tumbled in flight and hit the rock base-forward... meaning, backwards. If it had impacted nose-forward, the body-grooves would have been smeared away.

Since you will probably ask, I'll answer in advance... the statistical odds favor your find being most likely a yankee Minie-bullet, because the yankees manufactured millions more 3-groove Minies than the Confederates did.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nigelrex

Jan 11, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300 now, but looking for recommendations
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great, informative answer - thanks! I'm going to do a follow-up post on this location (Scottsville, VA) later tonight or tomorrow. Several more relics I found in the same spot (winding stream between two steep hills, pits, camp) this past weekend seems to have the makings of a pretty interesting story and battle (given the bullet?), but I'd need an expert opinion. Other items found include deep railroad ties, lots of tin with bullet holes (e.g. big oil can), etc. Pretty sure the spot has been detected before, but still a really cool place to find stuff left behind or pushed up by a storm.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread