US 1st Regiment badge??

gardenscott

Sep 5, 2012
Dug this in AZ it’s fairly thin brass and looks like it was attached to something. Has the number one up top and U and S next to a cross and REG on the bottom. Does have some rust staining. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583859788.737721.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583859802.734341.jpg

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery. I can't help with ID but I think your'e on the right track.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm turning up with a blank searching 1st Cavalry and 1st Infantry. Note the crossed items, don't look like crossed sabres/sabers or crossed rifles. So I'm a little lost here.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
It kinda’ looks like it might be a gas can off of an old toy Army Jeep or truck? ...I know the shape isn’t really right, but...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
In 1800's U.S. Army regiments consisted of Cavalry , Infantry , & Dragoons. Insignias were ; Cavalry - Crossed Swords,,,,, Infantry - Crossed rifles,,,, Dragoon - CROSSED SPEARS , which looks like you have there. There were some Dragoon forces enacted to fight the Indians & Mexicans.
GREAT FIND & probably very rare ! Looks like a lid .

from Wiki ;
Prior to the War of 1812 the U.S. organized the Regiment of Light Dragoons. For the war a second regiment was activated; that regiment was consolidated with the original regiment in 1814. The original regiment was consolidated with the Corps of Artillery in June 1815.[SUP][29][/SUP]
The 1st United States Dragoons explored Iowa after the Black Hawk Purchase put the area under U.S. control. In the summer of 1835, the regiment blazed a trail along the Des Moines river and established outposts from present-day Des Moines to Fort Dodge. In 1933, the State of Iowa opened the Dragoon Trail, a scenic and historic drive that follows the path of the 1st United States Dragoons on their historic march.
In 1861 the two existing U.S. Dragoon regiments were re-designated as the 1st and 2nd Cavalry. This reorganization did not affect their role or equipment, although the traditional orange uniform braiding of the dragoons was replaced by the standard yellow of the Cavalry branch. This marked the official end of dragoons in the U.S. Army, although certain modern units trace their origins back to the historic dragoon regiments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it pressed aluminum or steel? If steel, I'd think beginning 1910's to 1940's. If aluminum, a bit later than that.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting pretty rare if it cant be I'd for sure

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Regiment of Infantry was in Arizona 1882 - 86.

The Indian outbreak in Arizona in the spring of 1882 caused the regiment to be sent to that Department, where it remained until July, 1886, the companies garrisoning Forts Grant, McDowell, Bowie, Huachuca, Lowell, Verde, Thomas, Apache, and Whipple Barracks. During this period the companies did garrison duty, detachments being frequently sent out to guard water-holes. Several of the officers, notably Lieutenants Maus, Pettit and Faison, rendered valuable service in the field during the Geronimo campaign.
In July, 1886, the regiment was transferred to the department of California

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pair of prongs on both sides suggests this was a cover of some sort and the prongs would be inserted into slots to hold it in place. Looking at the 1st picture at about the 11 o'clock position along the top edge there appears to be a "C". If so, are there any more letters? Does the top edge look like it was broken off?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gardenscott

gardenscott

Sep 5, 2012
The pair of prongs on both sides suggests this was a cover of some sort and the prongs would be inserted into slots to hold it in place. Looking at the 1st picture at about the 11 o'clock position along the top edge there appears to be a "C". If so, are there any more letters? Does the top edge look like it was broken off?

I will check tonight

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
In 1800's U.S. Army regiments consisted of Cavalry , Infantry , & Dragoons. Insignias were ; Cavalry - Crossed Swords,,,,, Infantry - Crossed rifles,,,, Dragoon - CROSSED SPEARS , which looks like you have there. There were some Dragoon forces enacted to fight the Indians & Mexicans.
GREAT FIND & probably very rare ! Looks like a lid .

from Wiki ;
Prior to the War of 1812 the U.S. organized the Regiment of Light Dragoons. For the war a second regiment was activated; that regiment was consolidated with the original regiment in 1814. The original regiment was consolidated with the Corps of Artillery in June 1815.[SUP][29][/SUP]
The 1st United States Dragoons explored Iowa after the Black Hawk Purchase put the area under U.S. control. In the summer of 1835, the regiment blazed a trail along the Des Moines river and established outposts from present-day Des Moines to Fort Dodge. In 1933, the State of Iowa opened the Dragoon Trail, a scenic and historic drive that follows the path of the 1st United States Dragoons on their historic march.
In 1861 the two existing U.S. Dragoon regiments were re-designated as the 1st and 2nd Cavalry. This reorganization did not affect their role or equipment, although the traditional orange uniform braiding of the dragoons was replaced by the standard yellow of the Cavalry branch. This marked the official end of dragoons in the U.S. Army, although certain modern units trace their origins back to the historic dragoon regiments.

Looking at it more it looks like it could be a sabre and a scabbard crossed over each other. At least on my phone it looks like this

Upvote 0

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Regiment of Dragoons/Cavalry maybe. he "United States Regiment of Dragoons" was organized by Act of Congress approved March 2, 1833, becoming the "First Regiment of Dragoons" when the Second Dragoons were raised in 1836. Its designation was changed to "First Regiment of Cavalry" by the Act of August 3, 1861 https://history.army.mil/books/R&H/R&H-1CV.htm

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I still think it’s the gas can off of a stamped steel toy Army truck or Willy’s, similar to the one on the back of the one below. The little tabs which were pointed out are just like the old toys were assembled.
76296C2F-DC88-4CD3-A207-B203D4330274.jpeg

Upvote 0

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like where Ben is going outside of the OP stating its thin brass.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gardenscott

gardenscott

Sep 5, 2012
I still think it’s the gas can off of a stamped steel toy Army truck or Willy’s, similar to the one on the back of the one below. The little tabs which were pointed out are just like the old toys were assembled.
View attachment 1811138

Yes that could be it. I did find it in a early teens trash pit. But it does look like that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gardenscott

gardenscott

Sep 5, 2012

At the top there are three curved lines and a circle on the right. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1584313366.470920.jpg

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing this last picture makes me wonder if the prongs weren't opened up to release the find from whatever it once covered. Looking from this angle, the top kinda looks like a toy rolled up nap sack.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread