Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked my local grocery store coinstar today too. No silver but I did find a reject bin full of coins. About $1.00 in clad coins plus two foreign quarters. Can't remember where they were from but they were new clad ones.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky if I find a few cents at any coinstar machine....nice save!

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been months since I've found a coin or 2 in any of the coinstar machines near me. I wonder if the grocery workers like a vulture wait and lurk around...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
It's been months since I've found a coin or 2 in any of the coinstar machines near me. I wonder if the grocery workers like a vulture wait and lurk around...

I suspect that is the case where I live. I have never found anything in the coinstars.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's all about timing and being in the right place at the right time. Just think about how many people use it and how many kids that walk by each minute. I check every time I am near one..I have found silver on two occasions out of the hundreds of times I checked. I probably 90% of the time find nothing and the other 9.9% of the time it's foreign or clad.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that is the case where I live. I have never found anything in the coinstars.
Take a pencil with a little gum or that sticky putty with. Look under the screen of the chute. Can guarantee you won't find coins, but you'll end up with a bunch of earrings & studs!! I can't count how many CZ & diamond studs I've pulled out, along with a lot of gold too! The cool thing is the kids etc. Can't get to them unless they have one of boogeymans sticky stick retrievers!

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've scored a few silvers on coinstar, when I see someone using it I tell them my Bank charges 5% instead of the 10.8 % I then offer to buy their rejects got a 1916 Barber dime that way and scores of foreign coins. Along with wheats , rosies, and a 64 Washington.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from the grocery store and it pays to look under the machine as well. I saw something under the machine and I was almost positive it was a penny. I decided to bend over and pick it up anyways in case it was a wheatie. To my surprise though it was a dirty 1943 Mercury dime. That is now my 3rd silver coin found at a coinstar.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a coinstar at my local Walmart but it charges the 10% extortion rate unless you get some ridiculous gift card to some restaurant. I have wanted to creep around it looking for discards but I feel mighty conspicuous doing it. Might have to just take a peanut butter jar full of change with me and pretend I'm interested in dining at Chili's with a budget of $7.84 while I raid it for lost silver.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On 9/12/2015 I posted that it had been months since I found coins at the coinstar. It's still months but at the coin machine at my bank while waiting for teller to change bags she pulls out change that was stuck and gives it to me... was about almost $2.00 in change along this with this beauty....

Attachments

• 1442448024205.jpg
    1442448024205.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
C

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello: It's hard to say as most of the time I don't find anything in the reject chute. Tonight at the coinstar I did find $.11 (clad dime & star back zinc penny).
HH
Gary

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found myself behind a guy with a big bag of coins at the coinstar. He checked all his rejects but left the stuff he didn't want on the shelf of the machine. Thanks dude! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443129096.576477.jpg
5 Canadian quarters, a few Brazilian coins and US too. Good fun...now if only I knew where I could use the token!?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found myself behind a guy with a big bag of coins at the coinstar. He checked all his rejects but left the stuff he didn't want on the shelf of the machine. Thanks dude! View attachment 1215199
5 Canadian quarters, a few Brazilian coins and US too. Good fun...now if only I knew where I could use the token!?
Have you looked it up on the net or token books? Almost fell off the chair when I found out what some of my Chuck E Cheeze tokens were worth. Yup! couldn't believe people collected these either!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you see the loss prevention people or a security guard close by, you know where they went.:laughing7: My trick was to use gum on a pencil to grab jewelry out of the tray (with the holes) almost always found earrings & charms.

Has anyone noticed the coinstars kick out wheats? One of the service guys told me one of the tests were weight. Wheats weigh more so the machine thinks they're slugs. Anyone else see this?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today as I went thru the grocery store checkout I noticed a woman dumping hundreds in coins into the coin star. Lots of coins falling in the reject bin. I waited and offered to buy her rejects. She thought she knew what she was doing and kept a silver Rosie but sold me the rest for a dollar. I got a 5 euro cent, two clad dimes, a modern nickel AND A '66 half dollar!!! View attachment 1265131
As you can see the color is even different! Love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions